Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

z3 Catalytic Converter Question

osirus
03-29-2004, 12:10 AM
I have a 1996 1.9L z3. My catalytic converter just broke. I checked the price for a new cat. from my local dealership and they quoted me $1050.00.

Does anyone know where i can buy an after market direct fit catalytic converter for my z3? How can i bypass the check engine light from going on when replacing my stock catalytic converter with a high flow after market one?

jeffreyb4me
06-07-2004, 09:16 PM
the front pipe which is the likely crack point on these cn be welded back together by any[good] muffler shop... you can't 'by-pass' the ENGINE' lamp and you won't find a 'high-flow' CAT, only post-cat high-flow systems [ fed. laws ]

crash8168
06-07-2004, 10:15 PM
have you car checked for the cat recall, you may get it for free.

jeffreyb4me
06-08-2004, 08:05 AM
any emissions recall would have expired long before now and i don't believe there are any CAT recalls for '94 and newer BMW's....sorry............p.s....i did have the cat. replaced on our '98 Z-3 2.8 due to a rattle, but it was still under warranty.

crash8168
06-16-2004, 09:33 PM
recalls never expire. and their was a recall on the z3 with cat converters failing the cat efficiency test.

crash8168
06-16-2004, 09:52 PM
SIB 180100BMW VOLUNTARY EMISSIONS RECALL CAMPAIGN TO EXCHANGE
THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER ON YOUR VEHICLE
CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 01E-A01
Dear BMW Owner:
BMW has determined that certain 1997 model year BMW automobiles with 1.9 liter
displacement engines may not fully meet the Federal Environmental Protection
Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board emission control requirements.
In order to remedy this situation, BMW is conducting a Voluntary Emissions Recall
Campaign. We are asking you as the owner of an affected vehicle to contact your
Authorized BMW center at your earliest convenience to have the repair carried out.
The Problem is...
BMW has determined that your 1997 model year BMW automobile with a 1.9 liter
displacement engine may, over time, develop increased exhaust emissions and a
rattling noise originating from the catalytic converter. Erosion of the packing material
inside the catalytic converter allows a monolith to become loose and rattle against the
catalytic converter housing. Depending on the degree of packing material erosion, the
“Check Engine” light may also illuminate.
What BMW and your Authorized BMW center will do...
BMW will repair your vehicle free of charge for parts and labor. Your authorized
BMW center will replace the catalytic converter with a new, improved version. The
complete repair should not take more than one hour. This repair will not have any
adverse impact on driveability.
Your obligations are...
At your earliest convenience, please contact your Authorized BMW center to schedule
an appointment to have this Emissions Recall Campaign performed.
If you fail to get this free Emissions Recall Campaign performed…
If you live in a State with a SMOG Check program, your vehicle must pass an
emissions test, as required by State law. Without having this Recall performed your
vehicle may be more likely to fail this test.
For vehicles registered in the State of California, the completion of emission
recall repairs is required prior to vehicle registration renewal. In addition, the
State of California requires that every vehicle must pass an emissions test (SMOG
Check) in two year intervals and whenever a vehicle is sold. California regulations
require BMW to provide the Department of Motor Vehicles with a record of all
vehicles, which have not had the Recall repair performed.
Furthermore, your Authorized BMW center will provide you with a Proof of Correction
form after this repair is completed. Please save this form since the California
Department of Motor Vehicles may require it as proof of Emissions Recall Campaign
completion.
Failure to have this free repair work performed could be determined as lack of proper
maintenance of your vehicle and could jeopardize your full protection under the
emissions warranty provisions.
If you need help...
Should you have any questions about this Emissions Recall Campaign that cannot be
answered by your Authorized BMW center, please call our Customer Relations
Department, toll free, at 1-800-831-1117.
If you don’t own this vehicle...
If you are no longer the owner of this vehicle, we would greatly appreciate your
furnishing us with the name and address of the new owner, using the enclosed return
postage-paid card.
On a personal note...
We appreciate your confidence in our product and wish to do everything we can to
retain that confidence. BMW of North America, LLC, in cooperation with our
Authorized centers, will strive to minimize any inconvenience to you caused by this
Campaign. We ask that you join us in our desire to minimize air pollution and any
adverse impact on our environment and have this Emissions Recall Campaign
conducted on your vehicle.
Very truly yours,
BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC

jeffreyb4me
06-19-2004, 06:41 PM
whoops, wrong again, i was thinking of warranty only............thanks for the info........jb.

Add your comment to this topic!