95 grand am se heater core removal???????

S10xtrmeSR
03-28-2004, 06:16 PM
I need to know how hard it is to change the heatercore in a 95 grand am se. Can anyone tell me the steps to remove and install a new one? Mine let go and soaked the entire floor. Thanks.

Markgase2000
03-29-2004, 02:22 PM
the heater doesnt work at all? my heater let in a huge pool of water in during a rain storm and flooded all the floors in my 2000 ga. I didnt replace the heater , i vacuumed the water out and dried the carpets now i just remember to leave the knob turned to defrost and the water cant get in cus the flap is closed from outside air. But if your heater doesnt work at all you got to pull the dash out and get at it from there.

S10xtrmeSR
03-30-2004, 12:51 AM
Is this a difficult job to do? And I know that the heater was working before it flooded my car. Can I just leave it in and still run it? Or will it still leak coolant? I have never messed with this kind of stuff before.

C_Sephiroth
03-30-2004, 07:16 AM
It will still continue to leak untill you replace it. it is kinda difficult, if you haven't done it before.

Markgase2000
03-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Ok , news to me , I am sorry if i missed something before. Your leaking coolent through the heater and it is flooding through the floors? I never seen this happen before , I was thinking the water from the outside was just getting in. What coolent first of all (antifreeze or refridgerant).

Markgase2000
03-30-2004, 09:33 AM
If your gonna pull the dash be very carefull not to lose any screws or bolts otherwise it will be a headache , document where it all goes. Look up a GM assembly diagram if your not confident , copy it and print it for in car use. Other wise I could sit here for 2 hours explaining it to you , but im working. Good luck.

martle
03-30-2004, 11:11 AM
It's a pretty tedious job. The only way to get to the heater core is by removing the dashboard. I had this happen on my old ga, after looking at the process and since I was planning on getting on a new car anyways. I bought a bypass and sold the car did tell the buyer about the problem. Since it is springtime it is a project you can put off though. What you can do is go to an auto part place and buy a bypass. If you look under the hood towards where your dash is, you should see two hoses there, simply disconnect them and attach them to your bypass. This will prevent coolant from leaking inside the car.

S10xtrmeSR
03-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Ok I think I am going to run a bypass. I work way to much to mess with it right now and besides it's warm out. I am going to hate removing the dash. But since it will be allready out I might as well do some customizing. I thank you guys for the help.

domino78
03-31-2004, 06:29 AM
I changed my heater core a couple of years ago. It can be time consuming but is not very difficult. You do not have to remove the dash. You do have to remove the center console. After you remove it look all the way forward it is behind the black panel. It is held on by 4 screws. You also have to get to the hoses on the other side. In order to accomplish this you have to get under the car. The heater core cost me 20 bucks. I called around for a quote and they wanted 300+.

S10xtrmeSR
03-31-2004, 09:11 AM
Ok which is it? remove dash or don't remove dash? and here are the specs if it means anything. 95 ga 2 door se quad 4, 5 speed.

S10xtrmeSR
04-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Ok Have another ????? I looked for the lines to run a bypass but can't find them. Where are they? What should I look for?

domino78
04-02-2004, 05:16 AM
Ok Have another ????? I looked for the lines to run a bypass but can't find them. Where are they? What should I look for?

The lines are under the hood towards where your dash is but you have to get under the car to see them. I have a Chiltons manual and will try to post the instructions for the heater core tomorrow.

S10xtrmeSR
04-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Ok I bypassed the heater core today!!!!!!!!! But the only thing is my low coolant light is staying on. I think the sensor is bad. And my neighbor (a mechanic) told me to change the heater core was a 15 min job. You don't need to tear the dash off. You go into it under the drivers side and take this and that off (covers and plates) and it comes right out.

kanawyn
04-04-2004, 08:47 AM
domino78.......if you have the time to post more detailed information, it would be much appreciated. I'm about to head down this road too! Thanks

domino78
04-04-2004, 07:44 PM
I looked in my Chilton's manual to see if there were any difference in the type model as to where the heater core is located and there isnt. My heater core is located (sitting in the drivers seat looking fwd) behind a sound panel behind the lower console. As for the low coolant light after my coolant went below a certain point the light stayed on. The sensor was just stuck. I refilled it after changing the heater core the light was still on. I hit the resevior to loosen it. The sensor came up and the light went out.

S10xtrmeSR
04-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Well since I bought my car back in October of last year ($1,800 out the door with 136,xxx miles) I have had the battery go dead, the abs light come on, and the heater core go south. I don't think it has been a bad car since I got it, and i put about 3,000 miles on it.

tera_kay
04-27-2004, 01:33 PM
I just replaced the heater core in my 95 Grand am yesterday. It took the mechanic almost 3 days to finally get the heater core in.

domino78
04-27-2004, 06:20 PM
you got robbed!!

S10xtrmeSR
04-28-2004, 02:07 AM
you got robbed!!

Who got robbed???

cawes2003
07-31-2004, 02:39 AM
Domino78,

If you could give me any more infomation on replacing a heater core would be great.
P.S. I own a 1995 pontiac grand am se, 4 cylinder

domino78
08-03-2004, 02:29 AM
You have to remove the shift knob and then the center console. all the way forward you will see a black plastic cover remove it and behind it is the heater core. It has four screws and two hoses attached. In order to get to the hoses you must get under the car.

S10xtrmeSR
08-03-2004, 02:32 AM
I couldn't have said it better myself.

cawes2003
08-03-2004, 10:47 PM
domino78
Your the auto mechanic i've been looking for thanks.
p.s. do you know how to replace the radio and if so how.

S10xtrmeSR
08-04-2004, 01:29 AM
http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalPontiacGrandAm.htm

there are steps and pics there I did mine and it's very easy.

cawes2003
08-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Thank you S10xtrmeSR

S10xtrmeSR
08-05-2004, 11:46 PM
you're welcome

S10xtrmeSR
08-28-2004, 01:35 PM
Just so I don't tear the living crap out of my car how easy is it to get the center console out? what/where do i have to unbolt things?

richtazz
08-28-2004, 01:55 PM
the heater core is in the center of the car under the radio. There are 7 screws holding the cover on. Once you remove the 7 screws, there are two straps that hold the core in the heater box (2 screws per strap. Some cars are easier to get the heater hoses from underneath after jacking up the car, some you can get to from up top under the hood behind the engine. It's not a 15 minute job, but not difficult at all. I usually suggest pulling out the passenger side seat to give a comfy place to lay while doing it. the seat comes out with only four bolts, and you won't have to contort your self to get the heater core out. Your low coolant light is due to air trapped in the system. Anytime you open the cooling system on a 3.1, you have to bleed the air out using the bleed valves on the t-stat housing and transfer tube (some only have one on the t-stat housing.

S10xtrmeSR
08-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Well you are right it's not a 15 min. job and after i took out my center console i noticed that the plastic housing has been broken. instead of takeing 7 screws out i took 4 and it fell off. Got the new heater core today and i am going to try to put it in now hope i can still work with the plastic since it is broken. I will post again in a bit.

S10xtrmeSR
08-28-2004, 05:12 PM
ok got the heater core in and everything in the interior back where it's supposed to be. Now all I have to do is connect the lines up and see if she works. it's been awhile since i have had air in my car and I hope she puts out the heat cause it's going to get cold in about 2 months

jasolution
09-04-2004, 08:42 AM
S10xtrmeSR, did you end up removing the center console to remove that heater core?

Thanks,

J

S10xtrmeSR
09-04-2004, 02:14 PM
jasolution, Yes I removed the center console to get to the panel that holds the heatercore. I have a 5 speed and i had to remove the shifter knob and just yank on the plastic that had the boot. (it only has snaps that hold it on) Then there are 2 bolt holes in the armrest compartment. and 4 more which are under the boot and plastic. Very easy to take off and put on.

S10xtrmeSR
02-26-2005, 02:56 AM
OK now since I got the heater core in, there is another leak. It's coming from the passenger rear side of the engine bay. can not track it down. Any help on this one?

Add your comment to this topic!