Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Blazer flasher noise

Jpson
03-24-2004, 07:29 AM
I just got a 98 Blazer S-10 4X4 that has an constant flasher noise, as though the blinker or falshers were on. Apply brake adn the noise stops. Apply blinkers and the noise does not change or vary.
I took it to GM dealer and they have no clue, want an appointment to check it out. Say they have never seen this before. Thoughts?

k-5_350
03-24-2004, 04:06 PM
a relay under the dash might be the noise, because flashers are basicaly relays that open and close. If i am not mistaken your brakelights have a relay for your break lights. Pull the bottom panel off the dash and do what ever you have to do to get it to make the noise. If you cant see under there feel around you will be able to feel the relay clicking when you touch it. Best i can do with out actually being there. Hope this helps :2cents:

price111
03-27-2004, 03:24 PM
I JUST finished this job!! Mine started doing this on the way home from a recent ski trip. First, make sure it's the flasher unit that is making the noise. You can do this by putting your finger on it. If I played with the hazard flasher switch, push, pull, move, it would go off. It would also go off when stepping on the brakes - just like you describe.

It's the multi-function switch. I finished this job about an hour ago. The switch was like $182 with tax - not cheap - but the flasher noise is GONE!!

The job is a real PITA. The manual calls for removal of the steering wheel; I got away without removing the steering wheel. I had to cut the lower column cover to clear the tilt wheel lever. And, the two screws that hold that multi-switch in are torx. The top one is easy. The side one, which is why the manual calls for steering wheel removal, is a bit difficult. Turn the steering wheel so that the top is turned to the left - it gives the most clearance here. Then, you need torx bits and a 1/4" swivel ratchet to remove this one. From there, you have to remove all the connectors and two of those are a real pain. I had to drop the steering column, two bolts only, for more clearance.

Not a technically challenging job - just a real PITA for all the twisting and "feel" work you have to do.

LOL - I was real worried that it was something else after I'd dropped the $$$ for the switch. The GM parts counter guy said that they replace Blazer multi-switches all the time - they go bad freqnently.

Hope this helps you.

Add your comment to this topic!