Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to change front struts on a '87 LeSabre?

BigRedScott
03-23-2004, 04:42 PM
My wife drives an old '87 LeSabre to haul the kids to and from their country school but the front suspension is in need of replacement and I don't really want to spend $400 to do work on a $400 car. I am pretty sure how to change the front shocks/struts, but sure would appreciate a verification on how to do it from someone who really knows.

Thanks!

Vancouver_TType
04-01-2004, 11:58 PM
It's not really all that hard, just a big ol' pain in the butt. You'll wish you had an impact gun, and you'll need a spring compresser, so you might want to just get someone else to do it. Also, on a car this old, the rubber damper above the spring likely won't be able to be reused, as well as the bearing cap...and you'll need a wheel alignment afterwards, too.

Still want to do it?....Okay.

Open the hood, and jackup the car, but make sure the wheels are free to drop down later...I mean, don't hold the car up by the control arms, but rather the crossmember or side pinchwelds.

Once you get the front end up in the air and the wheels off, things should just kinda make sense. Unscrew the bracket that holds the brake hose in place. Then loosen the two honkin' bolts and nuts that hold the strut to the spindle assy. You'll need a driver or punch to hammer the bolts through the holes and out through the other end. remember, when those bolts are out, the spindle/rotor assy might drop down a bit. Now's the time to make sure you can separate the strut from the spindle assy.. Next, undo the nuts on the top of the strut tower. Now you pull the whole unit out through the wheel well. Pull the spindle/rotor assy down, while at the same time push the strut towards the car to separate the two. With a little creative jiggling, also pull the strut/spring assy down out of the tower and out of the car.

Now you need to compress the spring, and undo the nut at the top of the assy. and take all that stuff off. ( remember what order it all goes back on). Slowly loosen the spring compressor and take the spring off. Now, with the new strut, put the spring (and the spring compressor) into position and put it all back together, hopefully with a new rubber damper and new bearing cap. Lift the new assy. up into the tower and put the nuts on with your fingers to keep it in place. Rejoin the bottom of the strut with the spindle assy, re attach the brake bracket thingy, and tighten everything up.

I'm only recalling what I remember about doing mine, so you should get a second opinion, or just be real careful and observant. Good Luck!!!

Add your comment to this topic!