Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

First time post - Help

nbk10081
03-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Hi
This is first time I am posting here. A week ago, My car suddenly started making noise (Passanger side, back of the car). Its gets loud as I accelerate between 20MPH and 40MPH...overall there is noise even when I am 70/80 MPH. I am not able to hear my radio too. I think its coming from muffler/exhaust area. I really dono. I thought somebody would give me a direction here. What might be the problem ? I really appreciate your response.
Thanks.

NBK

nbk10081
03-23-2004, 02:21 PM
By the way, Its 1996 Honda Accord LX 4DOOR.

Thanks.

NBK

Igovert500
03-27-2004, 07:06 PM
There are tons of different noises a car can produce, is there any way you could describe it for us.
Also just to help us diagnose...does it happen when your car is idling with the engine on, but not moving?
If so, does it get louder as you give it gas?
Can you maybe have a friend try and pinpoint the source of the sound while you are giving it gas?

Does it speed up as you go faster?

Is it squealing, rumbling, metal on metal grinding?

My first thought would be an exhaust leak somewhere between your catylitic converter and muffler. (If it is a rumbling sound, almost as if your engine is getting louder but it is coming from under the car. This will also occur when your car is on but not moving, and will get louder as you give it more gas.)
If it is an exhaust leak, you should get it checked out, it could be a rusted pipe, or a cheap 7 dollar gasket, but either way, the problem will get worse
Don't assume this is the answer though, more information would definantly help us out.

Add your comment to this topic!