Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Emissons legel High Flow Catalytic Converters

eckoman_pdx
03-21-2004, 07:23 PM
I am wondering if anyone has experience with Random Technolgoies High Flow cats. My car is a 92 civic with a 96 B18B1 swapped in (converted to OBD-I). The cat is suppose to be an Integra cat on there too. Anyways, the cat on the car has had it, and 2 years ago I barely sqeeked through emissions with it. It won't pass this summer without a new cat. I refuse to pay $685 for a stock cat, no way. I know that random technology and catco cats are supposed to be emissions legel (as well as high flow). I am wondering if anyone has any experience and can say that, yes, they cats will pass emissions. I am not in cali, so no CARB E.O number is needed, it just needed to pass emissions numbers wise. I am hearing they will, but I want to check around before putting out the $$. Also, is there any physical difference I can look for when I jack the car up to make sure that it is an Integra cat on thereI want to make sure that's the cat and that they didn't just make the old 92 civic one bolt up to the manifold. I didn't see an OBD-II bung housing plugged off, so I'm pretty sure it's not a 96 teg cat, it's either a 94-95 teg cat or I suppose they could have lied and suck with the 92 civic cat. What difference can I look for, in size, etc to I can tell which it is. I've called around here, and no one will give me a straight answer on any of this, it's really annoying. I just want the right thing and to pass emissions. Thanks

eckoman_pdx
03-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Okay, so no-one has any advice or input? Someone out there has to have a clue.

spooleffect
03-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Random Technology makes the best highflow cat. Its a little pricey when compaired to other high flow cats but you get what you pay for here.
It meets EPA and CARB standars too, while most others forget to mention this or theres a "for off-road use only" label on em.

eckoman_pdx
04-11-2004, 03:26 AM
Random Technology makes the best highflow cat. Its a little pricey when compaired to other high flow cats but you get what you pay for here.
It meets EPA and CARB standars too, while most others forget to mention this or theres a "for off-road use only" label on em.

thanks for the tip, I'll probably go with them then.

M@St3R_D
04-11-2004, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry to be off-topic but I'll make it short... What is OBD-I and OBD-II for??? Just want to know what this mean... Thanks :)

eckoman_pdx
04-11-2004, 03:27 PM
I'm sorry to be off-topic but I'll make it short... What is OBD-I and OBD-II for??? Just want to know what this mean... Thanks :)

OBD-I and OBD-II stands for On Board Diagnostics I and On Board Diagnostics II. It has to do with the Emissions control system, etc. All cars 96+ are OBD-II equipped. I forget what year OBD-I statted, but for some reason 92 or so is sticking in my head. OBD-II cars have a second Oxygen sensor in the Catalytic Converter. You can swap an OBD-II motor into an OBD-I chassis vehicle and just convert it to OBD-I, though you legally swap an OBD-I motor into an OBB-II vehicle, since the motor can't be older than the chassis.

Add your comment to this topic!