Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

tranny problems 94 regal

sadam68
03-20-2004, 10:25 PM
i have a regal with 150000 on it, it runs great but for the last 3000 miles i have had a problem with the overdrive. at speed on the thruway, if i start going up an incline the car starts to buck, as if the OD is slipping in and out of gear, but if i hit the gas to get it to downshift it shifts and is fine. now in the last month or so it feels as if the car wasn't getting gas, it would seem to sputter at times of harder acceleration but wouldn't do it all the time, usually under normal acceleration.i checked the fluid and it was low so i replaced it and it was better but not completely gone.it again got a little low due to a slow leak in the line that i just haven't had time or good weather to fix it.well it is now full and this problem is getting worse. i would like to replace the tranny as the car is in great shape and would be worth the investment. i would just like to know if this may be a repairable problem or is in fact in need of replacement. thnx in advance, sadam68

stevedavens
09-05-2004, 04:36 PM
i have a regal with 150000 on it, it runs great but for the last 3000 miles i have had a problem with the overdrive. at speed on the thruway, if i start going up an incline the car starts to buck, as if the OD is slipping in and out of gear, but if i hit the gas to get it to downshift it shifts and is fine. now in the last month or so it feels as if the car wasn't getting gas, it would seem to sputter at times of harder acceleration but wouldn't do it all the time, usually under normal acceleration.i checked the fluid and it was low so i replaced it and it was better but not completely gone.it again got a little low due to a slow leak in the line that i just haven't had time or good weather to fix it.well it is now full and this problem is getting worse. i would like to replace the tranny as the car is in great shape and would be worth the investment. i would just like to know if this may be a repairable problem or is in fact in need of replacement. thnx in advance, sadam68

I've had this problem too. I tried changing tranny oil and filter. Helped a little. I talked to some other GM guys, and when this happens, they need a tune up. I changed wires and plugs etc...........and low and behold it was fine. This was last year. It's starting to do it again now, and I'm having intermittent starting problems. I'm starting to hate this car, despite all the praise I've fouund for those 3.8's. I've got an old 88 New Yorker with 300000 miles on it and the body is better and starts all the time. My Regal has about 110000 miles on it.

scotty409
12-16-2004, 01:15 PM
At night when it is the darkest, raise the hood when it's running and look for little bolts of lightning. When you're in overdrive and going up a hill, it's all under a heavy load. One little mis directed spark leads to a misfire and sends a little jolt through the car. The misfires are still happening in lower gear, you just can't feel the jolts.

I thought my tranny was about to kick the bucket and it was one little spark plug wire.

stevedavens
12-16-2004, 08:31 PM
I've now had this thing to 3 different garages, with 3 different diagnoses from the computer. I scubadive, and met another diver that works as a tech at a GM dealership. So many problems in there, I can't begin. New ECM, coolant leak in the intake, purge selenoid toast, EGR toast, ICM toast, and the list goes on. He's doing it at cost on his own time, and it's only costing me a bottle of whiskey, so it's not being over done either. What a piece of junk. I'll never buy GM ever again.

Add your comment to this topic!