Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

85' 4x4 checking transfer case

dadymat
03-20-2004, 06:18 PM
Ive got a 85 4x4 full size k5 long story but ill make short......my truck has custom headers and i cant put the front drive shaft in but i want to test the transfer case I was told the transfer case was in order... when I engage the ...4H...the indicator light comes on and i can see the knuckle spinning when someone else was driving it forwards and backwards and i was on the ground looking under the truck.....however i cant seem to put the shifter in the ...4L...position does that mean it doesnt work? or partially works ? or am I stupid? lol

is there better ways to test the transfer case?

dumbplumber
03-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Are you in either park or neutral when you try. that is what you have to do.

dadymat
03-21-2004, 03:50 PM
yes ive tried in neutral and park...itll go into high just not low

dumbplumber
03-24-2004, 11:46 AM
sometimes when you are in park and try to change the vehicle will roll forward just a little and put the transfer case in a bind try rocking the blazer back and forth while you try shifting it into 4low. Also if it hasn't been in 4 wheel for a while you might want to change fluid and add some seafoam.

k-5_350
03-24-2004, 03:38 PM
this might seem stupid but, did you pull the stick to the right a little and then down. Somtimes there REALLY stiff pull hard, I've had to shift some of the old ones with my feet.

dadymat
03-24-2004, 06:04 PM
yes i have been pulling to side and down, i havent tried rocking the truck though....I ve pulled hard as hell

Add your comment to this topic!