Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

What's Better Fully Dun Up Vette Or Fully Dun Up Skyline GTR V-Spec2

Skyline8k
03-20-2004, 12:53 AM
Well i wanna know is what is better when fully dun up a vette or a skyline which will go faster because money ain't a prob i just wanna know

SkylineUSA
03-20-2004, 06:19 AM
Depends.

Both are very good cars. I would choose a GTR, but I could do the same to a Vette.

Its not a cut and dry question.

flylwsi
03-20-2004, 10:55 AM
or you could go to the "comparisons" forum in "cars in general".
or you could go to the general forum in this skyline forum, b/c we just talked about that 2 days ago.

again.

you should try searching.

(for the record, the vette has it.)

VQuick
03-20-2004, 11:14 AM
(for the record, the vette has it.)

Ditto. No question.

SkylineUSA
03-20-2004, 11:33 AM
The only reason why I would chose the GTR over the Vette, is because I live in England. If I lived in the States, I would pick the Vette.

flylwsi
03-20-2004, 12:14 PM
this is going to get closed soon, but if you went "balls to the wall", there's no question.

like in the other thread, you need far more power in the skyline to come close to matching the vette.
lingenfelter twin turbo, 650hp, runs 9's, top speed over 240, handles better than anything, need i say more?
what does it take to get a skyline over 240mph, or to run 9's in the 1/4?

more than a vette will ever need.
far more options for the "ultimate" vette.
supercharged?
turbo?
NA?
you don't have those options with a skyline.

SkylineUSA
03-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Tyndago had around those power numbers, and ran a 10.7 in a R33 GTR. There is a point where aeordynamics helps. The Vette is pretty aerodynamic, the GTR is like a brick. The fastest GTR here in England has topped out at around 215ish.

For the money though, I can get a $15k dollar R32 GTR, that will beat any $15k Vette. Straight line, or Road Course. Food for thought.

flylwsi
03-20-2004, 12:46 PM
are you sure about that?
15k for a skyline...
or 15k into it (including price of car)
you can get a vette just as quick or quicker and better handling with 15k, depending on what year you buy.
but that's besides the point.
this thread is a bit of a waste, as it's a carbon copy of 3 others that i've seen...

SkylineUSA
03-20-2004, 12:53 PM
$15k

Mid 11s
Around a G on the skid plate
Around 70mph on a 200ft Slalom
Around 0-60 around 112ft

Total cost of the car, and mods. I bought my car for 11k, ECU management for 1k, injectors $500, Brembos 1k, GT-SS turbos 2k, Tune $500. Oops, I cannot add, 16k:)

Plus the COOL Factor.

flylwsi
03-20-2004, 01:32 PM
if this is getting into the dollars and cents, and you want to give a 15k limit, i can think of quite a few cars, vettes included, that can do what your car can do.
including:
hondas
mustangs
camaros
corvettes
rx7's
240sx
mr2

so it's not really that big of a deal to do what you've done with that money, b/c i can find a vette to do the same...

(and this is not meant to get a flame war started, b/c you know i respect you and your cars)

SkylineUSA
03-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Actually,

I Agree with you.:) But they will not be GTRs. I mean, you really need to drive one, to see what I am saying.

oi_boy
03-21-2004, 03:23 AM
more than a vette will ever need.
far more options for the "ultimate" vette.
supercharged?
turbo?
NA?
you don't have those options with a skyline

thats because if your taking an rb26dett, you already have a twin turbo on it. although superchargers can reach higher speeds, they also have a more likley chance to burp, or, fail sometimes, unlike turbochargers which although cant reach the speeds, are much more reliable. but there are other things that can greatly increase the speed and performace off a twin turbo, such as exaust, air intakes, and clean electrical lines (believe it or not, youll notice the difference between dirty lines running from the battery and clean lines).

SkylineUSA
03-21-2004, 08:57 AM
thats because if your taking an rb26dett, you already have a twin turbo on it. although superchargers can reach higher speeds, they also have a more likley chance to burp, or, fail sometimes, unlike turbochargers which although cant reach the speeds, are much more reliable. but there are other things that can greatly increase the speed and performace off a twin turbo, such as exaust, air intakes, and clean electrical lines (believe it or not, youll notice the difference between dirty lines running from the battery and clean lines).

I know you are trying to be helpful, but the information you just gave is completely wrong.

SkylineUSA
03-21-2004, 09:15 AM
if this is getting into the dollars and cents, and you want to give a 15k limit, i can think of quite a few cars, vettes included, that can do what your car can do.
including:
hondas
mustangs
camaros
corvettes
rx7's
240sx
mr2

so it's not really that big of a deal to do what you've done with that money, b/c i can find a vette to do the same...

(and this is not meant to get a flame war started, b/c you know i respect you and your cars)

I have driven all the cars you mentioned, except an RX7. All those cars are not nearly as well built as a GTR. I do not like rotorary engines, no torque. Break down to soon, or at least they use too.

What year Vette are we talkin? What would the mods be? Just a friendly what if?

My Mustang can hang with my GTR, but when you drive the two. The GTR wins by a mile. Just because it can put down the numbers, does not mean its the same car:)

flylwsi
03-22-2004, 03:30 PM
it wouldn't be difficult to find a c4 vette, and perform the necessary suspension and engine mods to run with your skyline...
without having all the info in front of me, i'm not going to give numbers, but i know it can be done, for a similar price to what you're looking at, 15k.

build quality?
that really depends on the individual car...
if it's a poorly built tuner car, yeah, it's not going to be as nice as your car...
consider as well that you're talking about a skyline that's as old as my prelude, and i love the way my lude feels/build quality, especially in comparison to newer hondas.

so that's qualitative. if a car can do the same as yours, for 15k, and is a solid car, the difference is purely in the head of the driver...

SkylineUSA
03-22-2004, 03:51 PM
Purely in the head of the driver, maybe. But, I am willing to pay a little more for a more user friendly vehicle, one that does not rattle like crazy, or is too loud, or is too small, or too common, and handles very well in the wet;) I also like to be a little different.

flylwsi
03-23-2004, 04:42 PM
without getting deeper into this, you can make alot of cars do everything your car does, including:
not rattle
not be too loud
not be too small, too common
handle well in the rain

different is the only real major key for the skyline...
but you knew that... ;)

SkylineUSA
03-23-2004, 05:17 PM
without getting deeper into this, you can make alot of cars do everything your car does, including:
not rattle
not be too loud
not be too small, too common
handle well in the rain

different is the only real major key for the skyline...
but you knew that... ;)

But at what cost :p

flylwsi
03-24-2004, 12:33 AM
the same as yours... ;)

SkylineUSA
03-24-2004, 12:54 AM
the same as yours... ;)

Break it down for me? I dare you :naughty: :D

flylwsi
03-24-2004, 01:21 AM
without the car in front of me, i can only hypothesize on the pricing...
it depends on which car, what motor is in it, etc.

for fun, i can guarantee that i could make an s-10 run 11's, corner and brake in your range for that price...

hmm...

SkylineUSA
03-24-2004, 01:28 AM
An S-10, as in a Chevy Truck?

flylwsi
03-24-2004, 01:37 AM
exactly... ;)

SkylineUSA
03-24-2004, 01:44 AM
Sorry,

I said car:)

But, could you show me a S-10 that meets these requirements?

Its going to have a nice quite exhaust, be able to go to the airport to pick up mom and dad? :D

Handle over 70mph on a 700 ft slalom? over a g on the skid plate?

I am intrigued?

flylwsi
03-24-2004, 01:46 AM
it's not hard to have a quiet exhaust on any motor, and still make power...
if i were to build one, i'd use 2 resonators and a quiet high flow muffler. not that hard...

s10's can handle well, and they take a 350 easily...
and cheaply...

SkylineUSA
03-24-2004, 02:04 AM
Suspension, that is were I am lost at. Yes you can install a 350, but the handling is where I am lost at?

Can you show me a 350 s-10 with over 1g on the pad, and over 70mph on the 700ft slalom.

How do you make a S-10 grip with no load over the rear?

flylwsi
03-24-2004, 12:33 PM
coilover rear suspension.
coilover front.
not difficult, but time consuming.
think about most "muscle" cars, that don't have much rear load either.
the suspension on a stock truck is designed to work better with a load.
so you replace it with a suspension that works with the load of the truck (when empty) as opposed to working better when loaded.

it's not that difficult

SkylineUSA
03-27-2004, 07:14 AM
OK fly,

Give me a link or two for one of these beasts? You know about them more than I, so I would not know where to start looking for a 350 powered S-10, that can out corner, and brake a GTR. The truck sounds very impressive, to say the least.

You still can't pick up your parents at the airport in it. And it still going to be pretty loud, but I will bite:D

flylwsi
03-27-2004, 11:33 AM
if i browsed truck forums more, i'd find some.
it wouldn't be hard to do that with a syclone or typhoon... they're 13 second trucks stock (turbo v6)...
but i've seen quite a few trucks that can, and do, handle and stop well, easily in your range...
i'll see if i can find some specifics, but i do know that i've seen these trucks before

Add your comment to this topic!