Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Chirping noise on '99 4 x 4

Duckbill
03-19-2004, 10:42 AM
I've got an annoying chirping noise consistent with the engine rev. It goes away when I even slightly touch the clutch pedal. I was guessing throwout bearing or something. I had the entire clutch assy replaced(needed it anyway) and figured it would go away. Nope...still there. It sounds like it's coming from back of the engine. It's been doing it for a couple of years.
Anybody ever experience this? I asked a bunch of people about it and nobody knows what it could be?

AZis2hot4U
03-24-2004, 06:11 PM
I've got an annoying chirping noise consistent with the engine rev. It goes away when I even slightly touch the clutch pedal. I was guessing throwout bearing or something. I had the entire clutch assy replaced(needed it anyway) and figured it would go away. Nope...still there. It sounds like it's coming from back of the engine. It's been doing it for a couple of years.
Anybody ever experience this? I asked a bunch of people about it and nobody knows what it could be?

I have the same problem on my 2000 4x4 Tacoma. I actually joined the forum today to see if I could find out about the problem. A friend of mine suggested the throwout bearing as well, but really wasn't sure. Have you contacted the dealer, that might be my next step.

sirryan
03-27-2004, 07:45 AM
I have a 2000 TRD with the same problem. It drove me nuts for over a year until I finally figured out that it was just the clutch release fork vibrating and simply needed grease. You can get to it by looking at the drivers side of the bell housing. You will see a rubber boot. Take this off and grease the release fork everywhere it pivots. You will need a brush with some grease and it is usually the pivot point on the inside that makes this noise for me. Just slobber the grease in there. Mine came back after about 6 months so I greased it again and gone. The dealerships were no help. I had them look at it several times. Let me know how it works.

Duckbill
03-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Thanks Sirryan. I'm going to take a look at that. I hope that's all it is.

AZis2hot4U
03-29-2004, 09:52 AM
Yes, thank you. I will do the same and let you know how it turns out, thanks again.

Duckbill
03-31-2004, 07:38 AM
Sirryan,
You are the man! I used a toothbrush to get the grease inside there. I've been listening to that thing for a couple of years. Thanks again,
Bill

sirryan
04-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Great!!

I struggled with that problem for about 3 visits to the dealer and got nowhere. That'll teach 'em to mess with us backyard mechanics. haha AND the chirping IS annoying. Finally found it with a stethascope.

I bet your clutch pedal feels smoother too.

Later

Add your comment to this topic!