Page updated on 06-19-2018

Trouble Starting My Tacoma

DAVID MADONNA
03-19-2004, 08:19 AM
I have a new 04 Tacoma with 800 miles on it now, the second day I owned it I had trouble starting the truck in that it turned over for quite some time before starting, but did start eventually. This has happened six times now since I first picked up my truck. It has been back to the dealer for a two day stay and of course they can find nothing wrong with the truck.

I have been unable to put any kind of patern to the problem as of yet. Can anyone help, the dealer says that fuel pressure is good and all sensors are working fine. The only patern that I have been able to link the problen to is failure to start only after an inital cold start and the vehical has sat for a few hours. I have not ever had the problem on an initial cold start.

The dealer says that they believe that I have a problem but seem very frustrated that they are unable to duplicate, even after several attempts.

coloradotaco
03-19-2004, 10:06 AM
I have a new 04 Tacoma with 800 miles on it now, the second day I owned it I had trouble starting the truck in that it turned over for quite some time before starting, but did start eventually. This has happened six times now since I first picked up my truck. It has been back to the dealer for a two day stay and of course they can find nothing wrong with the truck.

I have been unable to put any kind of patern to the problem as of yet. Can anyone help, the dealer says that fuel pressure is good and all sensors are working fine. The only patern that I have been able to link the problen to is failure to start only after an inital cold start and the vehical has sat for a few hours. I have not ever had the problem on an initial cold start.

The dealer says that they believe that I have a problem but seem very frustrated that they are unable to duplicate, even after several attempts.
My wife's RAV4 would occasionally do the same thing. My guess was she was hitting the gas pedal before she cranked the engine as it never happened to me when I drove the car.

h2co
03-19-2004, 10:32 PM
I have an '03 with the same problem. I'm new to Toyota and thought maybe this was normal but intend to inquire the next time it goes in for service. There have been times I didn't think it was going to start but, so far, always has. The hard starts are never on cold or hot start. It seems to be after the engine has cooled a bit after reaching operating temp but it's not consistent. There doesn't seem to be any correlation with fuel level, ambient temperature, etc.

sniperjoe
03-20-2004, 09:55 AM
I've had the same problem with my 03' Tacoma as well. It happened more when I first purchased it. It didn't start the first time even at the dealership. I notice mine usually happens on the first start of the day. Even then it doesn't always happen. It's fine though after the initial start. There's probably been a few times where it has happened after the initial start, but not too many. What can be done about this? We all have to purchase new starters? That's why I haven't bothered to take mine in because it only happens sometimes, and I know that they are going to say that everything is just fine.

gerosales
03-24-2004, 02:49 PM
I have the same issue with my '04 tacoma, too. It happened twice - last week and yesterday(3/23/04). I checked your postings before I contacted the my dealer's service dept. Believe it or not... he said it's normal - toyota has a long cranking time before it starts in which I do not believe it's normal. I will still pass by my dealer and have it diagnose just to make sure, I do have a 100k warranty so they will have to deal with me for the next 5 years (i drive 20k/year) hehhe...

dfskinner
03-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Actually, go by Autozone and have them plug the small machine into your computer read out, and see if you have any codes. That way you'll know what the codes are before you take it to the dealer. This way you know that codes exists, and if the dealer says nothings wrong, ask him about the codes you already have. I don't visit one of the dealers in my area because of this. He said nothing was wrong, after I had the codes from Autozone. Good Luch

gerosales
03-29-2004, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the info dfskinner!!! I will do that.
So far, I do not have any problem starting since I talked to one of the adviser at toyota service - I was thinking... maybe I am releasing it too fast because I got used to my previous cars that when you turned your keys, it starts right away. I am giving it the "benefit of the doubt"! And again, it's working.

GG

plumber546
12-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Toyota Supports ASE Certification
EG042-04
Title:
INTERMITTENT EXTENDED OR
HARD" CRANKING
Models:
03 04 Tacoma (V6)
Technical Service
BULLETIN
September 20, 2004
Some 2003 2004 model year Tacoma (V6) vehicles may experience an intermittent
extended or hard engine cranking at startup. A revised engine wire harness and ground
point relocation is required to correct this condition.

I have an 2004 double cab V6 and the extended cranking problem with 2400 miles, took it yesterday day to my dealer and told them how it was acting and they printed out a service bulletin on the problem...Said they would order the harness and it should be in, in a couple days. Let you how it goes...

plumber546
12-13-2004, 09:53 AM
A revised engine wire harness was installed today, it took about a hour. Will see if it fixes the extended cranking problem when it's warm...

coriverdude
12-13-2004, 06:18 PM
I have the same problem on an '04 Tacoma with 4000 miles, and thought I was just being paranoid. It usually happens on the first start of the day, cold weather or warm, but it can happen at any time. I will have to mention the engine wire harnes when I take it in for the 5k service.

Thanks for sharing your research!

plumber546
12-13-2004, 10:10 PM
A revised engine wire harness was installed today, it took about a hour. Will see if it fixes the extended cranking problem when it's warm...

I can send you the whole TSB if you would like thur e-mail, it is like a 10 page bulletin on it for 03/ 04

MachoTACO
12-20-2004, 02:38 AM
I have a 04 and I had trouble starting it when I first got it now it starts fine.

HyTrojan
12-20-2004, 06:59 PM
It was 28 F outside, first crank of the morning & after 3 sec's of cranking the starter seemed to make a different sound. Turned it off & tried 4 more times.. same sound (like the starter was free-wheeling) Last try I let it crank for at least 15 seconds & pep pep pep... gave a little gas petel & it ran. But nasty. Gave more gas to clear it out & it was fine. Turned it off & started it up fine. Starter back to regular sound. My Taco is a 2004 w/ 6,024 miles. Never did this before.

tacoma man.
12-20-2004, 07:25 PM
my 99 done that and i had to get the starter rebuilt

Add your comment to this topic!