Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine trouble

anoukchad
03-18-2004, 08:21 PM
I own a 98 subaru outback, which was presenting with some of the oil leak problems that have been described by others, mostly incredible oil burning smell when idling. Got it fixed times 3 ! At last repair they took transmission apart to clean it out and separated engine to reseal oil pump with silicone. 3 weeks later while driving on the interstate I was loosing power and this horrible knocking sound occured. Got it towed the garage says they didn't do any thing wrong with the repairs but a piston is shot and a rod is bent. Oil level was normal and no warning lights came on when it happend.
Any suggestions, I allready forked out $2000 in repairs and do not want to add another $2-4000 to this.
Thanks Anouk

USN_Pinoy
03-23-2004, 12:28 AM
I;m having check engine problem

USN_Pinoy
03-23-2004, 12:32 AM
I have a 1988 subaru station wagon DL my problem is my check engine light is ON any sugestion how to fix it.... :-(

sha_zapple
04-04-2004, 08:04 PM
For the first post:
Wow, never heard of something like that happening, unless you have some major mods on that engine. Anyways, Im not sure what I can tell you. Good luck though

Second post:
Chances are its a O2 sensor or a misfire. O2 go bad sometimes and are pretty cheap to replace. Sometimes it just the humidity. Try unhooking yoru battery for a while, this resets the ECU and will erase the CEL (i beleive)

deadring
01-04-2005, 10:59 AM
i had a 2002 impreza with a 2.5 liter and i must say that i'Ts the crapiest car and the crapiest service i have never had. i had to call subaru canada long distance coze they dont have a 800 number to argue about it, i told them that my old corolla makes less noise and it had 175 000 miles on original engine.. and the impreza sounded like it was a jetta TDI when cold without the fuel economy.. all they said was that it was normal

i had piston slap, from 10 000 miles and the engine had to be rebuilted at 25000 miles... oh and get this, subaru canada only got 2 NEW piston on ONE side only.. and left the others on the other side there.. saying to me that "it wont do any harm bla bla bla " routine...some who got the engine replaced had the very bad news that they would be getting a RECONDITIONNED engine and not a NEW one.. how iresponsible can you get??!!!
if i had had a dodge neon 2002 they would have put a new engine in it..maybe a few times but hey.. its a dodge.

if you dont believe me, i was there when they removed the pistons and i post them up on my page. if you can come up with a logical explanation of how the heck can piston get in that state then tell me... i heard they have a bad conception in the block on the cylinder 2 and 4 side.

heres the link.

http://www.geocities.com/carllegay/piston.html

believe me, a subaru is not a camry.. it may be duller to drive or own.. but it doesn't give you any troubles.

deadring

sha_zapple
01-04-2005, 05:40 PM
My car makes lots of ticking noises when its cold too. Pretty much all Subarus do. Its not a problem to me. I have over 175000 km on the car and it runs fine.

Whats the problem with putting 'only' two new pistons in the engine? if its not broken dont fix it.

Need more details on the reconditioned engine. Im betting that a HG went bad, and they got new HG and heads. Theres no need to replace the whole block.

The boxer engine is prone to piston slap, the pistons being on their side and all. One the oil starts flowing it should be fine. Did you have a block heater, or at least let your car warm up a bit before moving it? Did you put winter oil in it? (assuming yorue not in some hot place)

mrfixit64857
08-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Got a 99 outback sport 4cyl. 170k on it and never had a single engine problem. In fact the only thing Ive had to fix on this car period is the brakes and LRR wheel bearing ( and THAT was 'cuz my kid went swamping with it!) HOWEVER, I have been a stickler for routine maintenance: Oil change every 2500 mi, trans service at 75k, Timing belt at 80k, and this will be its second cat, as I replace them at about 85k. Note these did not GO out, but rather I replaced them before they were needed.

BlueRoo'02
02-28-2006, 11:11 PM
I had a '97 Outback Limited with a similiar problem at 120,00 miles...bent rod and molten parts. The fix was simple: a search at the local salvage lots revealed a 2.5 dohc engine w/ 30K miles on it . The price including installation at the Subaru dealer was about $2400-$2800. I later sold the car for $10,500, so I could put down payment on my house. The cost for a new engine was quoted at $5000, just for the engine- the first route is way better, way cheaper!

BlueRoo'02
02-28-2006, 11:15 PM
I have a 1988 subaru station wagon DL my problem is my check engine light is ON any sugestion how to fix it.... :-(

You must have the Loyale wagon... I'd check air filter and air filter seal, gas cap, then o2 sensor. If all else fails use duct tape to cover troublesome idiot light.

Add your comment to this topic!