Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Radio Display Won't Light Up

CHASESMITH
03-18-2004, 11:29 AM
Hi, I'm New To The Forum, I Have A 96 Se With 271,000 Miles On It, No That Wasn't A Type O. It Is In Perfect Condition (knock On Wood), But The Display For The Time/radio Station Doesn't Light Up. I Was Just Wondering If It Was A Simple Fix Or I Have To Replace The Radio, Because I Really Don't Want To Lose The Steering Wheel Controls.

MethodMan420
03-18-2004, 12:41 PM
This is a simple fix with a little know how and a few globs of solder. The most likely cause of your backlight going out is cold solder. Once the radio is removed slide a flat blade screwdriver under the 4 plastic retaining clips (2 on each side) on the side of the radio, once these are unlatched firmly pull on face plate. The bulb should be located on the top part of the circuit board. Use your screwdriver to turn bulb counter clockwise, put 2 "globs" of solder on the pads where the bulb contacts, if you put too much on the bulb won't go back in. Put the bulb back in, gently work face plate back on (being sure not to bend the metal contacts on the bottom of the face) once in firmly push until it clicks into place, if it doesn't go in easily, be sure contacts are seated properly. Before putting your dash back together verify that the bulb is working by plugging unit in and turning your key to the acc position. If the backlight is still out order (link #1) your new bulb and install it as described.

http://www.corvetteradios.com/Page7.html

I just found this link that pictures what I had just described http://www.corvetteradios.com/home/bu6.jpg

Good luck

Keller0512
03-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Hey, I have that same problem with my 1996 Bonneville. With mine, if you touch any of the controls on the radio it'll shut off. You can only use the controls on the steering wheel to work the radio. I was wondering if you have that same problem with yours.

Also could you post instructions on how to remove the radio from the dash. Thanks for the help,

-Rich

Add your comment to this topic!