Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Long engine warm up time, just started

rzkz8k
03-17-2004, 12:37 PM
How long does it take for your engine to warm up?

I have an 04 Yukon XL with the 5.3L engine. My warm up time use to be around 8 to 10 minutes with an air temperature of 25 degrees. One day, it started taking 30 minutes to warm up.

As an example, this morning the Yukon ran for 5 minutes in my attached garage which was around 28 degrees. I drove for 5 minutes before the temp gauge reached the bottom side of the quarter mark, this is when the climate control system starts moving air. Outside air temp was 22 degrees.

It took another 10 minutes of driving for the temp gauge to climb just above the quarter mark, now I’m getting slightly warm air from the climate control system. It took ten more minutes before the gauge showed normal operating temperature and I had hot air delivered from the climate control system.

I complained to my dealer who told me the vehicle is with in GM’s specification. I asked to see the specification but they told me they can’t show that to me. I call GMC Truck and filed a complaint, I hope that does something. May be I should just buy a new thermostat and install it and be done with it. I just don’t think I should have to do this with a new vehicle.

Add your comment to this topic!