Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

HKS V Cam For RB26

R33
03-17-2004, 02:22 AM
Guys, I hv heard that HKS has come up with what they term as "V Cam" for the GTR engine (RB26). It is a variable timing set up not dissimilar to V-tec. Right now, HKS Kansai is testing it and a friend of mine who had seen the dyno chart was really impressed with the low end response and top end delivery. The test car was using a pair of GT-SS. My info says that the V Cam is going to be a limited product with "only" 400 odd on sale. Price including cams and electronics is the equivalent of USD 4500.00 or thereabout (this is a rough exchange conversion from yen to malaysian dollar and into USD).
Looks like there's life with bigass turbo after all!!! :smokin:

SkylineUSA
03-17-2004, 01:20 PM
GT-SS is a very small turbo. The timing events will not make up for lag, with a big turbo.

I am curious as hell, to find out how this works, though.

$4,500 for what, may 10-25 extra hp. Not worth it in my book, I would rather shoot a 20shot of N2O, its way ceaper, and easy to install.

VQuick
03-17-2004, 02:36 PM
I remember hearing about this a while ago. USA, the V-Cams might only be good for 10-25hp at the peak, but the variable timing system could possibly help if there are any 'dead spots' in the powerband, and broaden it a bit.

SkylineUSA
03-17-2004, 03:08 PM
VQuick,

I am aware of that, but I am saying that it would not be worth $4,500 price tag, then having it installed. To me at least. I can dump that money somewhere else, and get more out of it.

I know the logic behind VVT, I just want to know how they can do it to a NON-VVT head. That is what has me mystified :eek7:

VQuick
03-17-2004, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I understand what you mean. That's a lot of money, no matter what kind of mod it is. For the people who have done just about all there is to be done, this might help, though. I don't know if there are any dead spots or big dropoff points in the GT-R's powerband, but the V-Cam really could help.

For example, 4th gen Maxima guys in the US got the variable intake manifold used on Maximas in the Middle East. The stock powerband dropped off drastically after about 6000rpm. With the 'MEVI' or 'Middle Eastern Variable Intake,' some owners reported gains of as much as 30hp on the top end, with a slight loss of low-end torque. Maybe this V-Cam system could have a similar effect.

I remember seeing a picture of the system a long time ago. I think it was installed on the 4G63 from an Evo. It looked something like the circular part on the cam cover of some of the newer RBs and SRs with VVT. It looked like there was a part there to adjust the cam/cam gear. Pretty vague description, right? :screwy:

R33
03-17-2004, 10:04 PM
I am trying to get a copy of the chart. Will post it if successful. I hv heard that the response was really good. And top end was good too.
Sky, I am skeptical just like you are. 4.5k usd is a helluva lot of clams. I could almost buy the whole sheebangs of HKS 2.8 stroker kit with that kinda of money, and it means stronger bottom and higher revs for me. I will search further and post whatever I find on it.

R33
03-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Ok. Here it goes. It is in the Japanese Option mag for this mth. The subject car uses a HKS 2.8 litre stroker kit plus the V Cam. The response is astounding!!! Something like this:

2000rpm=100hp
3000 =240
4000 =420
5000 =540
6800= 600!!!

Compare that to my poor chart! :mad: No details on the turbo type but its running at 1.4bar of boost.

SkylineUSA
03-18-2004, 01:00 AM
R33,

Those are good numbers, but it does not tell the whole story for the engine.

2.8l, but what cams were they running, what compression, what size valves, what turbos, what intake(plenum), what atmospheric pressure, what temp, what humidity, what fuel, what ECU controller, was that at all 4 wheels, etc.

Your engine is set-up rather nicely. I just wish that your tuner did not try to lock you into the 2540s when it was being built.

R33
03-18-2004, 03:05 AM
R33,

Those are good numbers, but it does not tell the whole story for the engine.

2.8l, but what cams were they running, what compression, what size valves, what turbos, what intake(plenum), what atmospheric pressure, what temp, what humidity, what fuel, what ECU controller, was that at all 4 wheels, etc.

Your engine is set-up rather nicely. I just wish that your tuner did not try to lock you into the 2540s when it was being built.

Yup. That's absolutely true Sky. It's just 1 10th of the story actually. The turbo is GT-SS as I come to know. But we will never know the actuall story.

My engine seems ok for the money. The 2530s will be in this year. Let's see what happen after that!!:)

Add your comment to this topic!