Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Taurus fuel gauge

JWTX
03-16-2004, 03:49 PM
I have a 2000 Taurus Flex fuel that the fuel gauge has a mind of its own. From time to time it will start showing wrong levels. Like it may say you have 1/4 tank left then you start the car the next time and it says you have a full tank or almost. Also you can go 30 miles and it will say you have used a 1/4 tank of fuel. I found a TSB on the NHTSA for radical fuel gages on flex fuel vehicles. the TSB is 15252. All I have been able to find is the summary for the TSB. I need to nuts and bolts how to fix it. Has anyone has this problem or know of this TSB and what to do?

spider1604
03-16-2004, 05:20 PM
My 2000 Taurus w/Flex engine does this too. Not only does the fuel guage do like you said but the Tach is messed up too. Most of the time it reads zero but if you get on it the needle will swing way over to the far side. Once in a while it'll read what might be correct but not for long. I'd like to know how to fix this too. As far as fuel goes we just fill up at about 300 miles on a tank.

Gizrat
03-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Hey I had the same problem with my 2000 Ford Tauras. If I remeber I had the problem soon after I bought the vehicle with 22,000 miles on it and I returned it and they change the fuel pump several times but the gauge kept acting up. At 42000 miles they replaced the sending unit in the tank and the fuel pump and its been fine ever since. I think is was covered on a recall and never had to pay a thing to get it fixed. The service guy said it had to do with some sensor in the fuel tank and they have the same problem in explorers and windstars

j2963
08-08-2004, 11:23 AM
yea i have a 2000 taurus and the fuel gauge act up it ethier shows full or empty and goes up and down when driving then the other day the car
died after using the passing gear i spray starting fluid in the breather it starts right up then dies like its not getting fuel does anybody know if these two problems are related i know they had a recall of the fuel delivery modual in 2000 any body know if im covered by this recall or if its to late thanks

ErnieC
08-22-2004, 08:48 PM
Here was my problem with my 2000 FFV I had all the same problems. I replaced all the mechanicals in the tank and also replaced the gauge and anti slosh modual in the cluster. Still my gauge would not work correctly. I finally took it to the garage and the problem was a $ 30.00 part. Some kind of module located behind the radio. It ended costing me 500 dollars for labor to find the problem since they had to drop the tank.

2001BlackSES
08-25-2004, 10:22 AM
My 2001 Flex Fuel is doing the same thing as all of your's, except I get a check engine light with it. I had the code read and it was for the fuel level sending unit system. I am not going to worry about it for now, I just fill it up every 300 miles.

jloxterkamp
08-30-2004, 12:37 PM
JWTX,

I have the same problem with my '99 FFV Taurus. If you get a solution, please post it.

Thanks!

win98nogood
09-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Here was my problem with my 2000 FFV I had all the same problems. I replaced all the mechanicals in the tank and also replaced the gauge and anti slosh modual in the cluster. Still my gauge would not work correctly. I finally took it to the garage and the problem was a $ 30.00 part. Some kind of module located behind the radio. It ended costing me 500 dollars for labor to find the problem since they had to drop the tank.

do you know exactly the name of the part im having the same problems
same car 2000 FFV
thanks
Gil

irish30
09-21-2004, 09:52 PM
The whole problem lies with the sender unit its self. The sender is a variable resistor that sends a specific resistance reading to the cluster. I had Ford send me three senders (or fuel delivery modules) and all had the incorrect resistance readings. They finally figured out that they were miss packed. You need to make sure that you are getting the proper sender for a flex fuel vehicle. They are different then for regular gas. If the dealer is unsure if it is correct then tell them to phone the Ford Tech Hotline to get the correct resistance reading for the vehicle you have. Ford has tooo many problems with fuel delivery modules. There is the recall for the focus' and the cougars. I have also replaced four of them in 2002 and 2003 explorers. After 100 years you would think they could make a fuel gage work properly. Sorry for the B!tching.:swear: :sunglasse

win98nogood
09-27-2004, 10:30 AM

All I can say is a big thank you , I followed your advice and I went to autozone and got the radio removal tool (part # AW-FDRT) $3.99,
went to my local ford dealer and got Part #YF1Z-14A069-AA wire ASY-F $ 29.82 installed it and it works
very easy install it is right behind the radio all you need is a small socket 5/16
thanks again :thumbsup:

Gil

below is a picture of it

wildbilld
10-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Damn I cant see the picture :-( I have a similar problem with my 2000 taurus where it was stalling out and the only problem was that it was out of gas. I heard from a mechanic that sometimes the fuel pumps can get "stuck" and you can hit on the bottom of tank and they should work for a little. You will know if it is working by the wurring noise that it makes when you first start the car. I thought that it was fuel pump but when I tapped the tank freakin thing is empty so I think that it is just a bad sender. will be replacing it over the weekend let you know how it worked out.

win98nogood
10-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Damn I cant see the picture :-( I have a similar problem with my 2000 taurus where it was stalling out and the only problem was that it was out of gas. I heard from a mechanic that sometimes the fuel pumps can get "stuck" and you can hit on the bottom of tank and they should work for a little. You will know if it is working by the wurring noise that it makes when you first start the car. I thought that it was fuel pump but when I tapped the tank freakin thing is empty so I think that it is just a bad sender. will be replacing it over the weekend let you know how it worked out.
here you go i just took the picture again
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/3183/picture_013.jpg

Wifishn
10-10-2004, 06:49 PM
i have the same problem with my 2000 Taurus. I went and bought the Module and radio kit. I still have the same problem. Any ideas?

win98nogood
10-11-2004, 06:58 AM
i have the same problem with my 2000 Taurus. I went and bought the Module and radio kit. I still have the same problem. Any ideas?
did you try to reset your fuel pump from the trunk

Wifishn
10-11-2004, 08:20 AM
No I didn't. Is that something that needs to be reset after installing the module?

fmdiscjock
11-13-2004, 04:56 PM
This is a BIG thank you to ErnieC and Gil (win98nogood)! I also took your advice on the wire assembly behind the radio and it works like a charm! I too have "forked out" over $500.00 to have a new fuel pump assembly installed only to be disappointed by the same "past full" or "all empty" syndrome with the fuel gage. I had the codes reset and everything! I read this forum and gambled $37.00 total to try the advice given here. IT WORKS! As mentioned previously, it only takes (5) mins. to install. So what have you got to lose, but that annoying as hell inaccurate reading fuel gage! <smile> Thanks a million guys!

Dysus
03-22-2007, 01:36 PM
[quote=win98nogood]All I can say is a big thank you , I followed your advice and I went to autozone and got the radio removal tool (part # AW-FDRT) $3.99,
went to my local ford dealer and got Part #YF1Z-14A069-AA wire ASY-F $ 29.82 installed it and it works
very easy install it is right behind the radio all you need is a small socket 5/16
thanks again :thumbsup:

I realize this is a 3 year old thread... but this forum saved me BIG bucks on a useless mechanic fishing expedition into my fuel tank. I picked up the errant part at my local Ford dealer (though 2007 price here is $45) and snapped it in right there in the parking lot. Worked like a charm! I didn't even need to remove the climate control/radio face to get at it - just climbed up under the driver side dash with my feet dangling out the passenger side... almost got stuck, but hey - it was worth it!

I am SO happy to *finally* have a working fuel gauge on this car! It's been 3 years of wondering and using the trip odomoter to guess how much gas I had in the tank... thank you all SO much! :rofl:

Dysus

Wifishn
03-22-2007, 02:55 PM
I ended up replacing the fuel pump. When I got the pump out, the arm to the sender was bent. How does that happen in a gas tank. Well works great now.

Dysus
03-22-2007, 04:41 PM
I ended up replacing the fuel pump. When I got the pump out, the arm to the sender was bent. How does that happen in a gas tank. Well works great now.

Dunno, but I had one mechanic tell me after having to replace three power steering pumps in a row "you don't need a mechanic, you need an exorcist!"

I've had issue after issue with this Taurus since we bought it used in July '04. It was a retired fleet vehicle. The gas gauge never worked (it pretended to, and left me stranded ONCE). The driver-side electric window operates intermittently, like Russian roulette... hit the button, see if will move... on that I've torn the door completely apart and used silicon grease on the tracks... the motor is OK (no dimming of the dome light). I suspect it's electrical/switch related.

I just replaced both door mirrors... had to take the doors apart from the inside completely for that one... and then there is the issue of burned out illumination lamps behind the instrument cluster... that required taking the driver-side dash completely apart and buying a set of the Ford radio removal tools...

It seems that Ford designed this vehicle for maintenance only by dealer service personnel $$$... or very determined shade-tree types like myself who refuse to be beaten by a hunk of steel and plastic! :evillol: I'm afraid the touch anything outside the cabin, having seen how difficult Ford made these to work on.

Dysus

Millermagic
03-23-2007, 05:42 PM
With your electrical gremlins, you sure it wasn't a flood car?

Dysus
03-23-2007, 06:27 PM
With your electrical gremlins, you sure it wasn't a flood car?

Interesting thought... it was purchased in July '04 with 74k miles on it (about par for the course for a retired fleet vehicle I think, in terms of age and milage). I've never seen any evidence of water having been in the car, though. The upholstery was in good shape, no funky smells... a LOT of dust though, up inside the dash when I had it apart.

The fuel gauge seems to be epidemic in the 2000 (from what I've read hear and elsewhere). The electric issues with the window could be explained by the fact that I use this car to deliver newspapers in all weather, with the window down. I do lay a towel over the armrest to protect the electronics, but some moisture is bound to seep in. The early burn-outs of bulbs in the instrument cluster I attribute to driving over 1400 hours per year in the early morning hours. I do put this poor car through some tough miles, with the work I do.

As to why I'd have three P/S pump failures in as many days (two with barely a mile on them!) I have no idea. I suspected there was metal shavings in the lines that weren't removed by the shop. The last P/S/ pump to go in was genuine Ford OEM. The previous three were remans.

Dysus

marduck
08-07-2008, 04:30 PM
I found this link from a gentleman on a different forum that may be what you are looking for.
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40573

Add your comment to this topic!