Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Engine or Rebuild?

rob_whiteman
03-15-2004, 11:22 PM
My '90 Si Hatchback is set to hit 250,000 kms and burns 4+ litres of oil every 3000 kms. I'm going to be commuting in September and want to get something sorted out for it in August before I start putting some serious miles on it.

a) I can get a B16A for $1950 with transmission and ECU

b) Does anyone know how much an engine rebuild would cost, and afterwards will my engine run like new, or at least for a lot longer?

Thanks

Tofuboy
03-16-2004, 01:34 AM
Well, what is the purpose of this engine for? commute? or auto sprots?

how reliable is the B16?

Will you be doing the engine overhaul yourself or pay someone else to do it?

An Engine rebuild should turn your old engine running back to like new if not new condition for almost the same price as the B16 swap.

If you want more performance from the rebuild, you can get some larger diameter pistons and have the rebuilder to bore the cylinders over size for you.

I personally will choose rebuild over swaping another old engine anytime, thay way you don't change the front and rear weight distrubtion which change the handling of the car. Also you know you have a reliabe engine.

rob_whiteman
03-16-2004, 10:11 AM
I'd be using the engine for commuting and some autocross.

The B16 would have 40000-50000 kms on it already, and yeah I guess I don't really know where it's been or how it's been treated. So I'd probably go with a rebuild.

Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

Also, do you know which companies would make the best pistons if I were to upsize those?

Thanks

boosted331
03-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Buy the B16, when you get it take it apart and throw in some new rings and bearings, it'll be good as new and you'll have a LOT more power than your stock motor.

liquidflame8
03-17-2004, 08:59 PM
b16 fo sheezy. you can get the first gen for cheaper than that. where are you looking. the b16 will own your old rebuilt motor. unless you do all kinds of crazy shit to it. but that will cost a lot. i see first gen swaps going for 1300. are you gonna do it yourself?

Add your comment to this topic!