Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Accord check engine light

Less
03-15-2004, 10:45 AM
The check engine light comes on and beeps after starting car, but will go off after a while. What could the problem be?

Igovert500
03-15-2004, 07:31 PM
How long does it stay on, on some cars, when you turn it on, it is normal for the lights to come on briefly. If it is doing it abnormally, I would take it to autozone and get them to read your computer codes. I believe they do it for free. There are simply too many things that could cause that light to go on, that without more information we can't do much to help. If you find out the codes that the computer is recording, then that will definantly help.

mwkirchner
03-17-2004, 05:34 PM
The check engine light comes on and beeps after starting car, but will go off after a while. What could the problem be?

I have been working on Hondas since 1984 and have NEVER heard a Check Engine Light 'beep'. You sure that is what it is?

You would need to find out what code is in the computer to be able to have someone try to help you out here.

Drfthis
03-18-2004, 07:06 PM
The engine light is on all the time in my car, infact I found that when it's not on is the time to worrie. one time the water pump went bad and the engine light never came on I thought it was good but later when I got home the damn thing was overheating.

mwkirchner
03-18-2004, 07:17 PM
The engine light is on all the time in my car, infact I found that when it's not on is the time to worrie. one time the water pump went bad and the engine light never came on I thought it was good but later when I got home the damn thing was overheating.

For the record ... the light will NOT come on for an overheating issue.

The check engine light will come on to alert you of a problem that is emission related ... such as a converter going/gone bad, or an O2 sensor ... things of that nature.

Add your comment to this topic!