Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Switched 12 Volt Power Supply for Radio Install

billyc80
03-14-2004, 10:30 PM
I have a 2004 GMC Yukon and I am attempting to install an aftermarket CD player. The wiring harness I have provides constant 12 volt batter power but no accessory wire. I am looking for a switched 12 volt power source somewhere in the dash. So far I have only found constant battery sources. Does anyone know where I could find a switched 12 V power source for the accessory wire of my CD player?

mx6rrr
03-14-2004, 11:42 PM
alot of newer GMs are like that, if you take dash near your feet apart the is a large wiring harness, called an ignition harness, it comes from steering colum to above peddles than it goes everywhere.... :) if you look between the large harness and the key cylinder there should be a thick brown and a thick orange wire, dont cut into them, expecially before you test the wire! TEST THE WIRE FIRST!!!! (use a multimeter connect blk to ground, test for voltage and touch the red (+) wire to the orange (or brown) thick wire with key off, should read 0 v, then turn to acc, should read 12v or so....now splice into the wire with a nice pair of stripers, a pick tool, some good electrical take and about 6 feet of wire. there is you acc wire.
option 2: have it professionally installed.
option 3: hook a wire up to the yellow wire on radio harness and use a switch to turn it on and off.

hope this helps you a bit, sorry if its confusing...hard to explain with out actually looking at it, and make sure YOU TEST THE WIRE FIRST AND DONT CUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!