Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Accelerator padle sticks!!

milin1609
03-14-2004, 01:46 PM
I have Aurora 98 with almost 88500 miles on it.Lately, I have experienced that the accelerator padle sticks.I do not know to what it sticks, but while stopping at trafic light, for instance, when I tries to go when it turns green, I feel that stickness.It's like something is holding the padle.Just a little push will release it, but it is not normal.Any help will be graetly appriciated.

apostolakisl
03-14-2004, 02:40 PM
I have an 01 Aurora that I have had the same problem with. Made it hard to start off gently as you push and finally it releases and boom your off. Mine was sticking where the wire linkage attaches to the air intake valve. I squirted a bunch of dw40 around it and it is back to normal, at least for now (I did it last week). I have a feeling that I will have to redo this often as I think the mechanism is not quite right any more.

tjdjelder
03-14-2004, 03:30 PM
I think that has been covered on this forum, here is another site that is helpfull. http://maytag87.dyndns.org:8081/rob/auroratips.htm#_Toc63043518

zimaad
03-14-2004, 08:19 PM
I had this problem with my 98 Aurora also. Just spraying some WD-40 around there is a very temporary fix. I took off the throttle body and cleaned around the edge where the butterfly valve closes. You can see the line of carbon build-up. It probably took about a half-hour to do. A few things to watch out for.... Be careful to keep the gasket in tact best you can, don't damage the mesh screen part as it is used to direct air flow properly, and lastly make sure to cover the intake hole as you don't want anything getting into your intake/engine. I believe I needed to use my torx/start-bolt ratchet set for this task.

best of luck

RobertHammen
03-15-2004, 07:42 AM
I had the accelerator pedal stick on my '98 (had to turn off the car as I was doing almost 60 in a 30 zone and couldn't get it unstuck - thankfully light mid-afternoon traffic). I think the dealership changed the throttle and cruise-control cables, and all was well (warranty company paid for it)...

I know my throttle body wasn't carboned up as I generally remove it and clean it up (using throttle-body cleaner - do not use carb cleaner) in the spring...

--Robert

--Robert

RoraStar96
03-21-2004, 02:35 PM
I had this problem for about 2 weeks. I got my TB cleaned and conditioned, that seemed to solve the problem.

Add your comment to this topic!