Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need Some help on getting my 1967 Nova SS Running

JedG
03-14-2004, 10:49 AM
I have been working on this car forever and I got it running yesterday and now it won't start. It has to be something with the firing. I've checked the points and they look good, rotated all of the plugs 180 incase I had the first cylinder on exhaust. If anyone has any ideas on what might be going on please let me know. Its the 283 bored 60 over with everything suped up and I really want to see what it can do.
Thanks
Jed

MagicRat
03-14-2004, 10:44 PM
Its back to the basics. Find #1 firing position and reinstall the distributor properly. Don't guess at the firing order. Get a manual if you don't have one and make sure its correct. Then check the points, dwell with a dwell tack and gap the points with a feeler gauge.

GearHead1214
04-20-2004, 02:06 AM
if u need to know where the #1 firing position is just turn the crank by hand until the arrow points to 0 on the marker on the timing chain cover. this has to be #1 firing, if not u have a lot of problems, also like magic rat said be sure to gap teh points with a feeler gauge, im not sure what to though ull have to look that up. next u should take the valvecovers off and tune the valves, if u have solid lifters u just need to gap them too, if u have hydraulic tighten the rocker arm just until u cant wiggle the pushrod up and down anymore, then give it a 1/4 turn clockwise. ull have to tune them again while its running to get them perfect. Also u should see if u even have any gas or spark gettin to the cylinder. run a compression check, if u have higher than 130 lbs, ur good. 180 would be awesome. it could just be flooded too. try holdin the pedal to the floor the whole time u are cranking it if u get a sputter keep this up till it fires and let it run with the choke on for a while to get all the unburned gas out. thats about all i can think of, if its electrical, ur on ur own there....

-GearHead

Add your comment to this topic!