Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just bought a 2001 A-6 Quattro 2.7T

Jims5543
03-14-2004, 12:21 AM
After a lot of research and shopping I ended up getting the A-6 for a family car. I initially wanted to buy a 2003-04 but when I researched the trade in Value of my 2002 Dakiota Quad Cab and realized it had depreciated over 50% over its first two years well...I decided to keep it and just but a used A-6. We got 1.9% financing, we intended to pay cash figuring we were going to get a 5% - 7% interest rate on a used car loan. When they came to us and offered 1.9% we decided to just put a couple thousand down and keep our money in the bank.

The beauty of this car is that it has a 6 speed manual. Daddy likes. :D

This car is loaded it even had the S-6 rims on it. The 1st owners opted to have them added as an option. The car itself is pretty loaded right down to the remote controlled rear sunshield. Pretty Pimp.

So now here are some questions:

Any real reliability issues I should know about?
I own a Turbo RX-7 and have already given the wife the lecture on proper warm ups and cool downs for the turbo's sake.

I was also told by a friend that you can get these 2.7T's chipped to make them a tad more interesting. Any truth to that fact? I wouldn't mind a few more horsies. I really dont want to mod this car at all but would love to rechip it for some more boost and fuel if it can handle it.

Here are a couple of pics I snapped of it real quick.

http://www.jims5543.com/albums/album01/CIMG0075.sized.jpg
http://www.jims5543.com/albums/album01/CIMG0076.sized.jpg

BTW - This car won out over all other onsidered cars hands down
G-35 - Nice but small no trunk
Lancer Evolution - Awesome car too ricey in appearance worshipped by the F&F children.
IS-300 - Again, nice car but no real umph when you drove it plus I really wanted AWD.
C-Series Mercedes - wonderful car and probably would have gone that route if I had found the right one.

yamahaboy
08-24-2004, 07:41 PM
very nice pick! my mom has a 2000 a6 2.7t quatro. the only problem was the breaks. they squeeked (sp?) when she hit the breaks soft. after several complaints to audi the finally replaced them and there fine now. aslo the trim on the rear passanger side door has came off twice but was replaced both times by audi. there is also a slight lag in the turbo but i guess its like that in all cars. i never heard about letting a turbo cool up or cool down? we just start the car and drive it.
Eric

Jims5543
12-23-2004, 11:46 PM
She got some new shoes. :D

I have learned a lot about the mechanics of this car too. The car has 2 water pumps, one belt driven for driving duties, the other electric for when you shut off the car it circulates water through the turbos and cools them down easier.

We still idle the car down after a spirited drive.

The rims up abuve were S-4 rims and are for sale with tires if anyone wants it has 225/45/17 Yokohama tires on them. The rims are decent but not perfect there are a fair amount of blemishes on them.

Rims alone for $300

With tires (60% tread) for $500.

I have also learned re-mapping the ECU is not a good idea unless you upgrade the turbos. The stock ones start to fail from the increased boost. So she stays bone stock for a long while.

My only issues with the car have been dealership service dept. Related. They seem to be very incompatant, I have had to take the car back once a month almost every month I have owned it for the same problem. It is loosing coolent somewhere. Not alot but enough to know that something is wrong.

They also screwed up the paint on the passanger side near the directional lens. It was loose and I asked for it to be replaced. They cheaped out and tried to epoxy it. The proble is they got epoxy all voer the paint and it will not come off. I am afraid to let them remove it in their body shop. I had some touch up work done at the time of purchase and I could have done a better job myself.

Be weary of Braman Mtorcars in West Palm Beach Florida. They have been horrible to me.

http://www.jims5543.com/albums/2001-Audi-A-6/CIMG0596.sized.jpg

m000035
01-31-2005, 08:00 PM
We have a 2000 2.7t and there are a few things you should know:

1. Very low clearance under the front bumper. The cover will catch on curbs and those parking lot bump stops. I have heard of people pulling the bumper cover off! Once caught, it bends out and makes the problem worse.

2. Use high quality -Full Synthetic- oil. The turbos will “burn” non-synthetic oil. The oil on your dipstick will look like tar.

3. The stock front brakes, (HP-2) use "cheap" rotors. One panic stop and they are warped. Turning them makes the problem worse. Even at 12.5 inches the stock rotors cannot handle the heat generated by the large calipers. When you have to replace them get some good quality "heavy duty" rotors. There are several sources for rotors of the same size and shape, just made of higher quality (heavier) metal.

4. Pick up an OBD tool or something like it. Current price is $71. Just resetting one code pays for it. http://www.obdtool.com/

5. When looking for parts, always check the dealer. About 10 to 15% of the time you will be pleasantly surprised.

Mike
Hillsboro, OR

Add your comment to this topic!