Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I need putty advice

awaken1973
01-06-2002, 03:39 AM
I never worked with this stuff. There's pic of rear spoiler in my 959 tred. I need to fill that gap between upper and lower part to give it look like whole single part. What's best putty for this task?

turbos86
01-06-2002, 05:25 AM
Putty in a tube style (Tamiya): for filling lines and gaps

Epoxy Putty: HUGE gaps, rebuild, scratch build

So for you 959 spolier, I think the tube stuff will do the job.

G-Forces
01-06-2002, 09:06 AM
Depending on the gap I guess you could use some Mr. Surfacer. For shallow scratches and thin gaps I'd go that way. I found putty too messy for small scratches and gaps.

modelfan1
01-06-2002, 09:30 AM
If you have liquid solvent based glue (Tenax Z-7 or Ambroid Pro-Weld) put some in a small jar and add some pieces of sprue from the kit you're building it will dissolve the plastic to a soft spreadable plastic,use as putty and it will become part of the piece you're filling.It dries quickly and it 's the same color as the piece being repaired.
Mike

Murco
01-06-2002, 07:07 PM
There is only 2 kinds of putty to use in scale models;
2-part Polyester automotive filler and Milliput!!
1) The polyester stuff is awesome in that it mimics the plastic of the kit, sands at the same rate (and smoother), and it WILL NOT SHRINK!!:) This is the only stuff I use and it is FAR superior to tube putty. I use Eurocoat Eversoft exclusively, look under auto bodyshop supply stores in the phone book.
2)Milliput is sometimes hard to find but is basically the same as the automotive stuff, in smaller quantities, and expensive
Russ

pkw1
01-07-2002, 01:53 AM
like what turbo86 said.. use paste like (tube) putty..

avoid glue.. those can end up making a BIG mess if you're not 100% comfortable with using it for that application.

Murco
01-08-2002, 05:29 AM
Tube putty shrinks!! This will cause unending headaches for you!!
Russ

mediamixhobby
01-08-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by awaken1973
I never worked with this stuff. There's pic of rear spoiler in my 959 tred. I need to fill that gap between upper and lower part to give it look like whole single part. What's best putty for this task?

I recommend the Tamiya two-part Epoxy Putty (87052). After mixing, it is very soft and can be easily shaped. You can use water to smooth it. Once dried, it is rock solid but still pretty easy to cut and sand. I just love this!

Murco
01-08-2002, 07:18 PM
If you are going to use the putty, and if it is Touline based, I've got a tip for ya! Apply some masking tape 1/16" - 1/8" on either side of the lenghth of the gap, apply a small amount of the putty to the gap to fill it, remove the tape, then use a q-tip (or cotton ball) dipped in normal strenghth nail polish remover to remove excess putty just after it sets-up and starts to harden. Clean up any residue with a soft cloth. This will leave the joint perfectly smooth and you probably won't even have to sand it afterward!!
Russ

modelfan1
01-08-2002, 07:55 PM
thats a great tip to save panel lines and detail

Add your comment to this topic!