Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

almost no sound coming from speakers

DannMann99
03-13-2004, 07:02 PM
okay, i just installed 2 speakers and a headunit today. after everything was plugged in i find out that my speakers arent making alot of noise. When i turn my CD player up to max volume, the songs play very quietly. Immediately i thought i switched positives with negative speaker wire, so i tried every combination, and still no luck. then i remembered i never hit the reset button on my cd player, did that and still no luck. everything is together well. now im wondering whats wrong, can anyone shed some light on my dilema? and help will be much appreciated.
~Daniel D.M.

in my car i just installed a PYLE (plcd38) CD player. (200watt max, with 1 pair of RCA out) I bought a pair of wires at radioshack that convert RCA to + and - speaker wire, i then connected the speaker wire to the speakers.

and a pair of Volfenhag speakers: (350watt max, 90db sensitivity, 4ohm impedence)

That is it for my car audio so far, i have nothing else in my car so that is why im so puzzled. i have no amps or subs or other speakers.
if you can help, please try. thanks.

Haibane
03-14-2004, 07:12 AM
All RCAs do is send signal, they do not send power. There is a wire on the headunit that runs to the speakers already use that to hook up to the speakers. The only reason you are getting a little power is cause RCAs send a little power.

DannMann99
03-14-2004, 09:47 AM
on the back of my headunit are 3 things. 1 pair of RCA Outs, 1 pair of RCA AUX in, and a clip which contains a whole mess of wires (where i needed to hook my wiring harness up to)
within that clip of wires are wires for front left speaker, front right speaker, rear left speaker, and rear right speaker.
Should i not connect them to the ones in that connect to the engine? should i just hook them up to the speaker wires?

Do they sell head units that have speaker wire outs instead of RCA outs? because i dont have an amp and cannot afford one at this time.

thanks again.

~Daniel D.M.
~DannMann99@aol.com

droptop94
03-14-2004, 10:07 AM
first take the rca adaptor off you do not need it. next get the owners manual for your cd player out and look at wire diagram. you should have yellow wire to hot all the time. red wire hot when the car is turned on. and black wire to ground. next you want to use the 4 rear speaker wires. rcas are only for amps. you will not use any other wires.

DannMann99
03-14-2004, 10:47 AM
i dont want to be messing with the inside of my cd player, then it will void the warranty and i wont be able to return it to the store either. isnt there just an easier way? or once again, do they sell head units that have speaker wire connections instead of RCA?

DannMann99
03-14-2004, 01:33 PM
i guess what im really wondering is, can i make it sound louder without getting an amp? i think its absurd a company advertises this headunit putts out 200watts max, yet they push it through rca. which isnt giving me anywhere near that. im prbably getting 5 watts total.

Haibane
03-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Ok man, seriously... We are trying to help you and you aren't understanding. POWER DOESN'T GO THROUGH THE RCAs. On the wiring harness, the power is from the wire as labeled, front, rear, left, right etc. Run those wires to the speaker You also have to remember 200 watts is max... It will never reach 200 watts max, it will only reach about 4x 15 rms, which is plenty. Let me reiterate, how you don't have power through RCAs. using the wires they are meant to is not working insde the CD player, which is called a headunit, and it is not going to void the warranty. If it did, no one would be allowed to hook up their headunit. For something to be inside the headunit it has to be INSIDE the headunit. The wires are on the outside and run to the harness and then from the harness to the stock wires in the stock positions. take the stock wires and plug them into the new speakers. You probably will need to cut off a plug on the end of the wires that used to run to the old speaker and wire it positive negative after it is stripped.

droptop94
03-14-2004, 06:27 PM
your head unit should have speakek wire out puts.they will be with the power wiers. you should have about 12 wires on the out side of your radio yellow to battery red to ignition black to ground blue you will not use unles you have a power antina. then white gray green and purple the white green gray and purple are your speaker wires. you can get an adapter to fit your car which plugs into your factory wireing it has the white green gray and purple wires on the other end then you just match up the coloers. take the rca adapter back and get a wire kit so you do not have to cut factory wires. if you'r head unit does not have speaker wires take it back to the place you bought it and tell them what you want to do

sr20de4evr
03-14-2004, 11:01 PM
And before you do anything listed here, stop trying to power your speakers with the rca ouput. That output is not meant to carry any kind of current, those are supposed to be connected to the input on an external amplifier. They're meant to put out maybe .001 amps, and with your speakers attached to them, you're forcing them to carry about .5 amps. Unplug them now or it's VERY possible you will kill the rca output permanently.

That mess of wires behind the headunit that you talked about? THOSE are what powers the speakers, follow the diagrams in the manual for your headunit and your wiring harness, and match them all up if you haven't already. Then attach the wires that are already in your doors that used to power your stock speakers to your Volfenhags.

mx6rrr
03-14-2004, 11:23 PM
what type of car do you have? it is possible that you car has a factory amplifier, that can cause problems when installing an aftermarket radio, you can either bypass it or just rewire it...rewiring it can make things simple if you dont know alot about it, just run speaker wire from the radios harness to speakers, the white and grey wires are the front speakers, plus and minus aren't real important...just causes the speakers to be in or out of phase, so just make sure you have the same on all speakers or it will sound kinda weird (hard to notice though).

Add your comment to this topic!