Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine trans-kits

BugZilla
03-13-2004, 06:17 PM
I am putting the finishing touches on some Subaru and Mitsubishi engine kits and ran into some questions on the exhaust sys. I felt I should ask the fine members of this forum. Would a preference be for stock exhaust, modified, as in header sys. or include both and let the builder choose. The reason I ask is cost, since doing a header or offering both would be a bit more costly and I am trying to keep the costs down.

Input anyone?

Dave

willimo
03-13-2004, 08:56 PM
I would say just to stock. You can't go wrong that way. If someone is building a custom car, they can conceivably use the stock exhaust, or one that looks similar at least. If you did a modified one, it would be of no use to someone building stock. Doing stock would appeal to more modellers. Plus, if some one is modding a car, and engine, they should be able to make a custom exhaust.

I, personally, would pay for one of each (provided I wanted the motor), but if you want to keep costs down and appeal to the most people, go stock.

freakray
03-13-2004, 09:49 PM
Any photos of the Subaru engine kit?

I have a Studio27 engine detail kit for the Subaru and to say it's disappointing is an understatement.

Will your engine kit be made for the Rally car or the Road car?
Also, if it's for the rally car, which year?

Snooker
03-14-2004, 03:45 AM
Wow, when will this kit be finished?

BugZilla
03-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Should have some pics' of them soon.

Suby engines will be road car versions and include most of the underhood details. I am working on a Jun version as well and will include intakes, I/C piping and v-mount to go along with the C-West bumper.

Mitsu. will be available as 1st, 2nd gen. as well as present. Lt. and rt. hand drive as well.

El Oso kits will be doing Rally engine bay kits for various rally cars. No info. on a release date yet, but will be carying those when available.

Dave

http://home.earthlink.net/~detailanddesign/

blueboost
03-14-2004, 11:25 AM
stock is good and all but with say the 4G63 I wouldn't mind a nice custom exhaust manifold option. otherwise what are you going to do put that big heat shield there where all the turbo goodness would be? doesn't that kinda negate the whole point of engine detail? i mean with the boxer engine you really can't see as much of those details so it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

BugZilla
03-14-2004, 08:56 PM
stock is good and all but with say the 4G63 I wouldn't mind a nice custom exhaust manifold option. otherwise what are you going to do put that big heat shield there where all the turbo goodness would be? doesn't that kinda negate the whole point of engine detail? i mean with the boxer engine you really can't see as much of those details so it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

I actually planned on doing both for the mitsu. since it is more visible, and someone may want to build it stock as well. The header is going to be a real challange molding it since the header tubes present a real problem with the complex shape, but it will get done.

Dave

exhaust smoke
03-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Sorry, to detract from this topic, but that Altezza in your sig is amazing. Is it the HKS project car? Have you started an 'in progress' thread for it? If so, what's the link?

blueboost
03-15-2004, 11:01 AM
I actually planned on doing both for the mitsu. since it is more visible, and someone may want to build it stock as well. The header is going to be a real challange molding it since the header tubes present a real problem with the complex shape, but it will get done.

Dave

yes I can imagine it will be difficult. but build it and they will come. if your skilled at scratchbuilt engines and are looking to sell them, have you considered doing a SR20DET? everyone here is all about the Silvia's. you'd probably have a hard time pumping them out to keep up with demand. anyways, Im interested in your 4G63 with the header. and also the boxer.. any idea what your price point will be like? or when they will be ready? even a general idea would be nice!

BugZilla
03-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Sorry, to detract from this topic, but that Altezza in your sig is amazing. Is it the HKS project car? Have you started an 'in progress' thread for it? If so, what's the link?

Yes, Its the HKS car. No progress thread at this time, its hard enough to keep up with everything else right now. I have been taking pics' along the way and may do a post-completed progress detailing the work involved building it. I am at the point of laying down the CF right now and trying to figure out the best way to do it, it is gauranteed to be a pain in the a$$.

blueboost: I have an SR20DET in the works right now, I'm looking to have that finished in the next few months. Going on pics' alone is harder than having a WRX in the garage, and an EVO VIII in the neighbors.

Dave

DriftEVO5
03-15-2004, 10:13 PM
i'm a dead on Mitsubishi fanatic and would love to buy a crap load of 4g63ts from you! 1st and 2nd gen! that would complete my evo models!!!

cant wait to see your other motors as well SR motors will be a huge selling item in these forums! actually i wouldn't mind buying your box motors either.

flyonthewall
03-16-2004, 04:55 AM
I have an SR20DET in the works right now

Me too! :crying:

Add your comment to this topic!