Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

just bought new Saturn, any tips, warnings, advice, comments, criticisms?

joyrider
03-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Just put a couple hundred bucks down on a gorgeous gold 95 Saturn GL coupe with about 96K. It's in pristine shape inside and out.
I have till Monday to decide if I want it--only things wrong are that the check engine light comes on briefly but disappears after the car warms up. Also the low coolant light comes on, don't know if that's from a leak somewhere or what. Transmission fluid is nice and clean, oil looks fine.

Is there anything in particular I should check out on this car? I've never owned a Saturn and really don't know a thing about them. I would greatly appreciate any advice etc. on Saturns in general--are they great cars or am I wasting my time? The guy agreed to a price of $2500 which seems like a steal to me.

THANK YOU for your time!

WildsideCreations
03-14-2004, 01:40 PM
That is a great car!! I would have someone with a code reader check that service engine soon light. Also refered to as the MIL (malfucntion indicator lamp) There could be something wrong the emissions control. Going away after its warmed up should not happen. Something is wrong! Check the the sending unit in the resevor for the water. See if the cap is leaking. With 96k miles on it it should be good for another 70k at least.

joyrider
03-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will buy the car and check everything out. Hopefully it will be a great car cuz I do put a lot of miles on!
Will let y'all know how it works out!

malcolm brumley
03-15-2004, 05:33 PM
You can get the diagnostics read at auto zone for free. When you fill the coolant resevoir the (low coolant) light will go out. If later on you detect noise(idleing in gear)replace the upper motor support. It's easy and needs replacing with age. Saturns are great cars. I have rebuilt and owned 54 of them.

joyrider
03-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Wow! 54!
Checked the coolant resevoir and it is full.
Went ahead and replaced the thermostat just in case, filled it up but is still blinking at me!
Also temp is still high. I discovered fan is not coming on d'oh!
Good ol' Autozone went there today, showed EGR valve code so I'm gonna pull it off and clean it and see what happens. I'm afraid to drive my purty new car till I get the cooling system bugs worked out. Does this car have aluminum heads and/or block?
Thanks again for the advice!

WildsideCreations
03-15-2004, 11:17 PM
Aluminium Head and block

malcolm brumley
03-17-2004, 06:03 AM
There are two engin temperature sensors. One of them starts the fan. They are located on the rear of the head directly over the transmission.

joyrider
03-17-2004, 11:56 AM
Yeah--got the Haynes manual which really helps. I discovered the fan comes on when you turn on the AC like it's supposed to, so motor and relays are OK. I'm getting the sensor today. One is for the gauge, one is for the fan. Let's hope they give me the right one!!!
Hopefully that will fix the problem. Other than that this is one sweet car!

Add your comment to this topic!