Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clicking sound when turning left...

YCEE
01-06-2002, 12:48 AM
I hear a clicking sound coming from the driver's side front wheel when I am doing a quick hard left turn or weaving right and LEFT (like maneuvering through pylons). I took it to a mechanic and they checked everything but couldn't figure the problem out. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Gtr2.7L
01-06-2002, 02:35 AM
Possible worn/dry CV?

YCEE
01-09-2002, 09:24 AM
Can you please explain CV? What is it and is it difficult and expensive to replace them?

Anyway I realize that the sound is there when I brake hard also. Seems like it will make noise when there is extra weight pressing on the wheel.

WraithR32
01-09-2002, 01:29 PM
Could be the bushes in the strut brace.

SPECTR
01-13-2002, 11:14 PM
Maybe your doors need some CRC!!:grey:

tazdev
01-13-2002, 11:27 PM
JEz tony leave the poor guy alone, ya dirty rat bastard ya.

Didn't you get dave some CRC for christmas?

Chilla
01-14-2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by YCEE
Can you please explain CV? What is it and is it difficult and expensive to replace them?

Anyway I realize that the sound is there when I brake hard also. Seems like it will make noise when there is extra weight pressing on the wheel.

Yeah, could be a CV (Constant Velocity - that's right eh?) joint :bandit: . It transfers power from the front differential to the front wheels, but still lets the wheels turn to steer the car.

Could also be worn/stuffed front suspension bushes.

Chris :ylsuper

Gtr2.7L
01-14-2002, 11:11 PM
CV...sorry..I know it's been a while:) Look under your car...left side. On the actual driveshaft, you'll see a joint (it's covered in a bellows looking rubber boot...about 10-15 cm long). It allows the wheel to turn while still pushing power to the wheels....when that bellows cracks due to old age...or rippage, the joint dries out.....the clicking sound is the shaft rolling across dry bearings.

Mechanics will replace them for about 600 bucks USD! .....but, if you buy the part yourself (25 for the joint....or if it's too complicated 120 or so for the drive shaft), it should only take you about four hours to do (that's if you're a first timer that is) I've only replaced two and I can do the job in just over an hour and a half. It's not complicated....but you do have to take off the rotating assembly.....Hang your caliper to your spring with a coat hanger to keep it out of the way....if you remove that, that's a whole 'nother pain in the ass because you'll have to bleed your brakes!:)

MIC 80
01-15-2002, 03:58 AM
Try this one find an area were you can do a full 360 turn, turn the wheels full lock left and drive around if the clicking happens it is the cv for sure if not try doing the same in reverse if it still dose not click I would start checking the sway bar d bushes and control arm bushes after that I am at a loss as well
:sun:

YCEE
01-15-2002, 12:33 PM
I've sent the car back and they took out the CV, but they couldn't find a new one for the moment, so they sent it for a rebuilt. Well it is only good for three days, then the clicking sound is back again. I think I should get a new one somehow. Can anyone tell me is it dangerous to drive around with that? It is just making the clicking noise when turning (or stopping sometimes), there is no feedback from the steering and couldn't hear it if I shut the windows though.

By the way, I'm using Project Mu SCR PRO Disc Rotors (2-piece construction type, with bolts on it...), just wondering if that thing will make the similar clicking sound??

vspecv
01-16-2002, 03:45 AM
its not really dangerous,the worst than can happen is the cv snap in half and you would have no drive to that wheel.not really an issue with a gtr since its basically rwd.
the only problem u may encounter should it snap is the other components in the area as its spinning and not connected .brake hoses etc.
ive only ever seen one seperate on a fwd car and didnt do any damage.
try what the other thread suggested with the 360.
when u repalced the drive shaft where there any tears or holes in the rubber boot.
if not i doubt its the cv.unless your cars done 100.000kms plus

YCEE
01-16-2002, 01:55 PM
Tried the 360 thing, and it will not click when I'm going absolutely slow, but it will start to click when I'm picking up some speed. By the way, my car has 44000km on the clock.

-Joel-
01-17-2002, 12:53 AM
Are you running std. Mags?

Just a thought..

YCEE
01-17-2002, 12:20 PM
No, I'm using 18x9 Weds Sports 3pc, anyway what is it to do with the rims eh?

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, the clicking sound is very rhythmic, the faster I trash through a corner, the faster it clicks. I also notice that the upper control arm bush and the lower ball joint is a little bit worn.

obsherd
06-26-2002, 04:40 AM
I had this problem as well.It was a warning pin on the brake pads.new set of pads.Fixed.:D

Add your comment to this topic!