Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

specv

trojan3171
03-12-2004, 04:47 PM
If i were to switch my motor out of my 02 spec v and put in the sr20det motor, would i see that much of a difference? and is it worth the money? is it possible just to get a turbo for the car i have now? if there is would that be more cost effecient? also, how much fabricating do you have to do for the swap? ruff estimate if possible. also thinking about keeping my car the way it is and buying an older awd eclipse and playing around with that.

fry_ed
03-12-2004, 09:00 PM
well, very good questions. as you may or may not know, there are several turbos that you can order right now. they'll run you 4-5 grand including install. reliablility is a concern.
turbo info: http://forums.thevboard.com/viewforum.php?f=52&sid=5e64c336221c3b4395ff240ca41b5d0c

det swap has been done twice i believe into a spec-v. there is a huge difference from what i hear. you'll be faster with that than you can ever be through normally aspirated mods i think.

i don't know whether an after market turbo would be more cost effective than a det swap.. but taking reliability into account, i wouldn't really recommend an after market turbo at all.
a few posts down there's a thread linking to a dude on cardomain who did a swap into his V. maybe he can answer your questions through email.

i say do some bolt-ons on the spec, and if you have the funds to get a dsm, that would be a much better car to play with turbo.

Add your comment to this topic!