Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Blazer Shifts Hard only 1st to 2nd????

Wildman98
03-12-2004, 01:10 AM
I recently Bought my 98 blazer. It Shifts hard only from 1st to 2nd gear and cant figure out why. I checked the atf after i bought it and it was very low and i had it serviced and they said that the tranny may have overheated...Does this sound right? and is there a way to make it shift right again? Only 103kmiles

whiteblazer95
03-12-2004, 08:52 AM
I just had my tranny replaced on my 95 Blazer. I was talking to the mechanic about hard shifting and he said that comes from lining material getting stuck in one of the tranny valves. Changing the fluid will help the linings and overheating problem, but a pressure flush should free the valve - the mechanic may be able to check the valves with the pan off.

gwebb75
04-25-2004, 06:56 PM
If the tranny has overheated, the fluid will probably have a burnt odor to it. You can check that on the tranny fluid dipstick.

Does the hard shifting occur all of the time, or only after the tranny has been driven far enough to heat up?

I had a similar problem with my 98 Blazer at 80k miles. My problem turned out to be the Control Valve Body, inside the tranny. I repaced it and my truck shifts fine now.

This problem was detailed in GM Technical Service Bulletin #01-07-30-023B and can occur on several different vehicle lines that used the 4L60-E automatic tranny, including some 1996-2000 trucks. The bulletin claims that the problem is is caused by some wear inside the Valve Body. Even after the problem starts, the symptoms won't show until the tranny has reached 200 degrees F. There was a design change in 2000 that prevents the problem.

Rowlin
04-27-2004, 10:36 AM
u can try to replace the fuild and filter but that can casue more trouble but its worth a shot i would try an additive with te new fluid but if the tranny goes after the fluid change don't be surprised

kphilbin
05-08-2004, 11:30 AM
If your check engine light is on...you probably have a "unknown problem code" p1870. It's a transmission slip problem code. I fixed the problem with a transgo kit. Check them out on the web or on Ebay...That's ehre I bought mine.

Add your comment to this topic!