Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Installing my new stereo

DannMann99
03-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Okay, i just got a new stereo for my 94 cavalier. The car never had any previous stereo in it so everything im putting in from scratch. I got a pyle audio cd player, ( http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?brand=pyle&cat1=Car%20Audio&cat2=Radios&model=PLCD38 )
And im wondering how to hook this darn thing up. I plan on getting a wiring harness tomorrow but how do i know where to hook up which wires. which color goes with which? plus, where on this thing to i plug in the speaker wires? the back of the stereo has a RCA audio out, and a RCA AUX in. How do i manage to hook speaker wire up to that?
Please forgive me, im new to car audio. Any help i will greatly appreciate. Thanks.

~Daniel D.M.
~DannMann99@aol.com

SilverJLEclipse
03-11-2004, 08:41 PM
The cd player SHOULD come with a harness that plugs into it or have these wires already sticking out of it:
yellow (constant power)
red (switched power)
black (ground)
blue and blue/white (remote and power antenna)
white & white/black (Front Left)
gray & gray/black (front right)
green & green/black (rear left)
purple & purble/black (rear right)

You should also buy your vehicle specific wire harness (Scosche GM02 I believe, been a while since i worked professionally). To use this your solder or butt connect the stereo harness and this harness by matching colors. Then plug it in to the existing vehicle plug. You may also need an antenna adaptor (Scosche MDA1).

The rca are used for an amplifier (out) or for an auxilary audio source such as mp3 player or satellite radio.
Hope this helps

DannMann99
03-11-2004, 10:14 PM
okay, yea i got the wires that plug into the cd player and have a ton of wires at the end, which i then connect to the free wires of the wire harness and everything should match up? another question though. what if i dont have an amplifier? the stereo puts out 200watts max so i thought that would be fine to run 2 speakers off of initially, i dont have the money right now for an amp so what can i do?
please help if you can, thanks.

~Daniel D.M.
~DannMann99@aol.com

PaulD
03-11-2004, 10:19 PM
... LOLOLOLOL .... 200 watts from a head unit ........ :rofl:

DannMann99
03-11-2004, 10:30 PM
one further question. when looking for speaker wire, what gauge is ideal?

DannMann99
03-11-2004, 11:13 PM
well im not expecting to get 200 watts rms. thats peak. im guessing more like... 20rms per channel, i wouldnt say less then 15

SilverJLEclipse
03-11-2004, 11:58 PM
16 guage for normal speakers is adequate wire size, i have all 12 through my car though.

DannMann99
03-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Another question. what would be the max watts i could put in an amp for without needing to install another battery? I have 2 subs sitting here and i cant install them without an amp. but i dont want to have to install another battery, so if anyone could help, it would be appreciated.

SilverJLEclipse
03-12-2004, 12:47 PM
i am very much against a second battery from most daily drivers. it is fine to have power close to the amp but the second battery is an additional load that your alternator (real source of power) has to handle. Most vehicles have no problem with a system of 1000w total considering that average use will only be 200-300w consistently (higher if you are crankzilla on the volume). Music is dynamic and generally big bass lines are what draw the power, you can smooth out the extra current needed for these passages with a 1farad cap per 1000w.

Add your comment to this topic!