Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Sender Replacement - need calibration?

suvguy
03-11-2004, 07:53 PM
I have a brand new fuel sender upgrade kit in my hands from St. Charles to fix the gas guage problem in my '00 Rodeo. The instructions show that a calibration procedure must be run by the dealer to calibrate the PCM to the new sender. Is this necessary? Have others installed a new sender and got by without calibrating and still had an accurate fuel guage? What's the going rate to have it calibrated if someone has had it done?

Thanks

oorodriguez2000
03-11-2004, 08:58 PM
I have the Rodeo 2000 Workshop Manual&Electrical Troubleshooting Manual on CD, will try to do a research for you and post the findings, probably tomorrow afternoon PST. At this moment I'm assuming that unit should come calibrated.

Davejb
03-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Yes it is necessary. Just had the wife's done, but they couldn't calibrate it for a week due to a problem with their computer. The low level light normally came on just befor the needle hit E, we had the level below E recently and the low level light didn't come on till well past empty. It's at the dealer as we speak getting recalibrated.

suvguy
03-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Yes it is necessary. Just had the wife's done, but they couldn't calibrate it for a week due to a problem with their computer. The low level light normally came on just befor the needle hit E, we had the level below E recently and the low level light didn't come on till well past empty. It's at the dealer as we speak getting recalibrated.

Arg, ok. They give you an estimate for the cost to have this done?

Davejb
03-12-2004, 03:54 PM
Mine was covered under the powertrain warranty so I have no idea what it costs, sorry. Unless your over 60k miles yours should have been covered as well.

suvguy
03-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Mine was covered under the powertrain warranty so I have no idea what it costs, sorry. Unless your over 60k miles yours should have been covered as well.

I'm, the second owner and bought it at 63K. Ohh well, thanks for the info.

2eyefishclaw
03-12-2004, 06:02 PM
I am an Isuzu tech and no you do not have to recalibrate yours only the 98 models need a calibration update after fuel sending unit replacment

Davejb
03-12-2004, 09:22 PM
I am an Isuzu tech and no you do not have to recalibrate yours only the 98 models need a calibration update after fuel sending unit replacment

So how do you explain the low fuel light change, and the fact that the guage read about 1/8 of a tank higher after it was calibrated?
We'll know for sure when the tank gets low enough for the low level light to come on.

Sweetness
03-14-2004, 10:15 PM
I am the original owner of a 2000 Rodeo - My problems started around the 21st of February. My CEL came on. I called the dealership where I bought it - the Service Manager told me to bring it in because it is still under warranty. The code they got was for the cam sensor. It cost me $50 (deductible) to have this warranty work done. I thought problems were over with. On the 27th of February - the low fuel light began flashing, the CEL came on, and the fan was blowing - when the engine was cold - and it was idling high. I called the service dept again - my appointment was for 8 am Saturday the 13 of March. They hooked up the computer checker and told me the code was 463 - they told me that was the code for the fuel tank sending unit and it was not covered under warranty - and it was going to cost $500. I was so upset - I left and logged into google and did a search. I found all of these messages. I plan on calling the 800 #'s for Isuzu. I thought they are trying to take advantage of my being a female, but it seems they are doing this to others as well. I need some advice on where to go. I believe they knew about the fuel tank sending unit in February - can't prove that though. I live nearly two hours from the dealership and it is a hardship for me to take it in. My vehicle is just now at 50,500 miles. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sweetness

Davejb
03-15-2004, 06:53 AM
Call your dealer and tell them what you found here, make sure you speak to a manage. If you still get nowhere then call Isuzu customer relations, they will straighten out your problem, I had to resort to that to get mine covered.

Sweetness
03-15-2004, 06:58 AM
Thanks I will try that. I am so glad I found this site.

Sweetness

Davejb
03-15-2004, 07:04 AM
No problem, I hope it goes well ,I know your pain.
Also check out Amigo's FAQ for some good info on what else you can expect to go bad and other good info.

http://geocities.com/endre_rl/isuzufaq.htm

Sweetness
03-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all your help! I called the dealer again and told him what I found. He told me it is covered under the powertrain warranty. They are going to reimburse me too. I have to take it in April 10th. Thanks again.

Sweetness

suvguy
03-17-2004, 08:17 PM
I am an Isuzu tech and no you do not have to recalibrate yours only the 98 models need a calibration update after fuel sending unit replacment.

So my '00 model does not need to be recalibrated after I install the new sender? Sounds like good news...

Davejb
03-17-2004, 08:24 PM
So my '00 model does not need to be recalibrated after I install the new sender? Sounds like good news...

My '00 did have to be calibrated, can't see how one would but another wouldn't, and have yet to see any evidence to indicate otherwise. The gauge was off before the calibration was done.

Add your comment to this topic!