Low coolant light with full fluid

jnskthrn
03-11-2004, 06:58 PM
I looked around here and couldn't see anyone with a similar problem. I will try and make this quick. My low coolant light comes on when the engine is warm or cold. I have checked the fluid at warm and cold and the level is actually a little higher than it should be at hot. Hence, there is plenty on antifreeze in the car something just keeps turning that light on. Someone told me a bad sensor? If so what's it called? The thermostat is working properly cause the car stays at a nice temperature the entire time. Light has been coming on and off for weeks now. I also have the spooky wiper issue. My wipers turn on and off intermittantly. Could these be connected? Thank you so much everyone out there for your help!
Oh and it's a 1999 Ford Taurus with the DOHC.

vandentr
07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
I recently talked to an engineer at Ford. This is a NOTORIOUS issue with the "Fluid Level Sensor" that is attached to the reservoir tank.

You have 2 options:

1) Watch the fluid level yourself and ignore the warning light.
2) Replace the reservior and sensor (about $32 from Rock Auto).

The bottom line is that this appears to be nothing more than an idiot light that has no impact on the operation of the vehicle, unless of course it's working properly and you really are low on coolant! :lol:

Regards,
TVB

Mac2002
07-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Re: the low coolant light, my 1999 Taurus w/ DOHC motor has the same problem. I ignore it.

Re: the ghost operating the wipers. I too had the same problem. I took the combination switch off the steering column, disassembled, and cleaned it. It was OK for about 6 months, then started operating by itself again. I ended up replacing the switch assembly (~$80 if I remember correctly)

OK, 4 years late, too.

Hungrycat7
07-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I wonder if the wiper issue could be a dirty relay. I had a problem on my Pontiac with the fog lights operating themselves. There were times when I would be inside and see them kick on without me. I pulled the relay and noticed some corrosion on the contacts. Took an old toothbrush, cleaned them off, and everything works fine!

tripletdaddy
07-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Makes you wonder the same on the wiper fluid reservoir sensor connection. Or, just so you don't have to keep looking at that annoying light all the time, you can just disconnect it. I think that's what has been said here before. If the light stays on still, then stick a small jumper wire in the end of the connector, like a paper clip and check to see if the light goes out. Then tape it over REAL good so you don't short it to anything and pop a fuse or hurt something. Did you try pushing down or knocking around the float inside?

mwt47
07-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Very common problem

Take the resovoir off and rinse it with vinegar and water and shake the hell out of it. Works about 1/4 of the time.

Replace the tank with the newer version clear topped tank

Unplug the sensor and the light will go off.

Mike
:smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!