Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 knock when turning

Hoopty
03-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Hi forum... please be gentle... first post...

I've got a 97 Rodeo 3.2L that emits a loud knock from the rear whenever I turn a sharp corner, like coming out of my neighborhood slowly. It knocks louder when I turn to the right than the left. I've replaced my shocks, had the front end aligned and everything else underneath in the rear diff area tightened. Has anyone had this same problem? Yes, I do some light towing with the vehicle and on past threads I've noticed a "carrier bearing" being referred to as a possible culprit. Any proof to back this up or should I be looking farther into replacing the differential?
The vehicle mileage: 170k and still rockin' - best frickin' vehicle I've ever owned!!! The vehicle is not shuddering at take off and since the shocks have been replaced, the ride is quite enjoyable again.

thanx...

Previous quotes listed from post: shudder and noise in rearend 1991 rodeo by skgirl

"Dan106
Try checking the Carrier Bearing which is located on the driveshaft. Mine shuddered when I took off, then would be fine when I got up to speed. U will have to pull the driveshaft, and the 2 bolts holding the carrier bearing bracket on. Check to see if you can feel or hear a grinding in the bearing.

fergmonster
the carrier bearing is the correct fix for this, it is pretty common if you have ever towed anything with this vehicle. also they are dealer only items."

amigo-2k
03-11-2004, 11:52 AM
First I would yank out all of the stuff you have stored in your rear compartments (jack and whatever else). Then take it for a spin.

Next recheck your shocks for leaks or if they are loose.

Finally, the last place to check is the rubber gromets in your leaf springs. Check my FAQ below for links to places that sell poly bushings. Now that I think of it, I bet this is the cause of the problem.

-Ryan

Hoopty
03-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanx Ryan.... anything else I might look for? I've ruled out the shocks - they're brand new. As far as something tumbling... everything is tied down.. I wondered about the leaf springs... thanx again...

amigo-2k
03-11-2004, 12:27 PM
You might want to also check out the body mounts in that area too.
-Ryan

Hoopty
03-11-2004, 12:54 PM
will do..

HotBacon
04-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Hoopty - what did you find? My 97 developed the same problem recently. I cannot find anything loose in the rear end and am sure it's not my shocks. I dropped it off today to have it looked at, but long story short...I'm driving a rental and the mechanic hasn't found the culprit.

tinyejp
04-20-2004, 09:33 PM
have him take a look in the rear diff. Tow anything recently? I've heard this can screw things up back there...?

amigo-2k
04-20-2004, 09:52 PM
It could be the the spacers in your shackles on the leaf springs are worn out.
-Ryan

amigo-2k
04-20-2004, 10:01 PM
good link:

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=502911&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=1&fpart=1#Post505993

HotBacon
04-21-2004, 06:52 AM
I haven't ever towed anything w/ my rodeo. I'll see what he says today then will mention the spacers in the shackles in the leaf springs

HotBacon
04-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Just picked it up...got the old "we didn't hear anything". So I took him for a drive, and every right turn I said there, there, there. Then it was "hmm, bring it back in tomorrow and we'll look, but i dunno".

next shop please.

amigo-2k
04-21-2004, 05:24 PM
I know it has been mentioned on th +98 that some owners (including me) get a thunking sound while turning is due to worn sway bar bushings.

like this:
http://www.energysuspension.com/swaybb.html

Add your comment to this topic!