Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Warranty issue & Maintenace costs....

DDJ
03-10-2004, 09:56 AM
I'm having problems with my local dealer doing the appropriate warranty repairs on my 2002 SUV. They tell me my warranty has expired because I have gone over the 60K. However, I signed up for the extended warranty of 72K after receiving Hyundai's letter about publishing the horsepower rating incorrectly back in Sept., 2002. They don't have this in their computer. Who can I call? I kept my original letter from Hundai however, the phone number is no longer good.

My keyless remote has gone out and the dealer wouldn't repair it because he claimed it wasn't factory, that I had it installed after buying my SUV. I pulled out my window sticker that I had fortunately saved, and showed him it was listed with the package I purchased.... AND it even has the Hyundai brand stamped into the plastic. How could it not be their product?

My SUV is also spitting and missing a little.. I'm told this is probably the spark plugs or injectors and the cost is over $200 since my warranty has expired... I just had this dealer do the 60K maintenace and was charged $294. And this was without them doing the oil change and tire rotation because I'd had it done the week before..

Can anyone give me some good solid advice as to where to call, or how to deal with these issues?

Thanks

lowsonoma1999
03-10-2004, 01:22 PM
I'd first try calling Hyundai customer relations at 1-800-633-5151. They should be able to take care of any disagreements between you and the dealership, and figure out something on the warranty. Second, if the dealership only charged you $294 for a 60k mile service, they didn't do a lot of things. Timing belt is recommended by Hyundai at 60k miles. If you have more than 60k miles and your timing belt brakes, thus leading to damaging the engine, it won't be covered under the 10/100k mile warranty. Also, spark plugs are supposed to be changed at 60k miles. If they changed them at 60k, there should be a parts warranty on them if they are bad, causing the rough running condition. Unfortunately, fuel injectors are not considered part of the powertrain warranty, so if you don't have the 72k mile warranty, they won't be covered. Our dealership charges close to $500 for a 60k mile service, without the timing belt, and then a few hundred more to change the belt. $294 is way too cheap for a 60k service. Your owners manual should tell you what Hyundai recommends for a 60k miles service, and compare that to your invoice from the dealership.

John Nance, Parts Manager
Bob Rohrman Indy Hyundai, Suzuki Superstore
7101 East Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46219
www.indyhyundai.com/www.indysuperstore.com
1-866-290-7046
317-613-7048

DDJ
03-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Thank you so much for this information. They told me that their 60k service included flushing the transmission and cooling systems and replacing the fluid, checking the belts, an oil & filter change, and rotating the tires. I'm pretty sure the only thing they left out were the oil change and the tires, but I had told them not to do that part of it. Are you saying that checking the spark plugs is part of the 60k service plan? If so, I know they didn't do this.

I will call the number you gave me... again, thank you so much for your help.

lowsonoma1999
03-10-2004, 02:12 PM
They are way off on their 60k service. A 60k should include, oil change, flush transmission fluid and flush coolant, replace spark plugs, pcv valve, air filter, fuel induction cleaning (we use a 3 piece kit, one pour in the tank, and 2nd and 3rd go directly into the intake to flush and clean it out), and fuel filter. For the V6, Hyundai suggests changing the timing belt at 75k, but at 60k for the 4cyl. I'd replace it at 60k for the V6 if it were me. In your owners manual, should be section 5 that explains recommended services. The spark plugs are platinum plugs, which need to be changed at 60k miles. Definately do not buy aftermarket plugs, especially Bosch platinum plugs. I'd stick with NGK or Denso. There are probably Champion plugs in there from the factory, but Hyundai recommends to replace with NGK. Part # on the new plugs is 18817-11051 for the V6, and 18818-11051 for the 4cyl. Both sell for $12.30 per plug. You have to pull the upper intake plenum in order to get to the back spark plugs, so replace that gasket while your in there. It's not too expensive. Definately call the customer assistance number and let us know what happens.

Indianapolis, IN 46219
1-866-290-7046
317-613-7048

lowsonoma1999
03-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Also, if you want you can give me your VIN numer and I'll run it through my computer and see what Hyundai says. Either post it on here or you can call the dealership, phone number is posted in my sig.

Indianapolis, IN 46219
1-866-290-7046
317-613-7048

JCH
06-09-2004, 05:41 PM
I'm having problems with my local dealer doing the appropriate warranty repairs on my 2002 SUV. They tell me my warranty has expired because I have gone over the 60K. However, I signed up for the extended warranty of 72K after receiving Hyundai's letter about publishing the horsepower rating incorrectly back in Sept., 2002. They don't have this in their computer. Who can I call? I kept my original letter from Hundai however, the phone number is no longer good.

My keyless remote has gone out and the dealer wouldn't repair it because he claimed it wasn't factory, that I had it installed after buying my SUV. I pulled out my window sticker that I had fortunately saved, and showed him it was listed with the package I purchased.... AND it even has the Hyundai brand stamped into the plastic. How could it not be their product?

My SUV is also spitting and missing a little.. I'm told this is probably the spark plugs or injectors and the cost is over $200 since my warranty has expired... I just had this dealer do the 60K maintenace and was charged $294. And this was without them doing the oil change and tire rotation because I'd had it done the week before..

Can anyone give me some good solid advice as to where to call, or how to deal with these issues?

Thanks

DDJ.

After reading your article about your warranty I immediately called Hyundai because I to opted out for 72K. warranty I also received a letter that you are talking about and guess what Hyundai has nothing on record for me opting the out for the 72,000 miles and they are telling me I am out of luck and there is nothing they can do. I Have about 29000 miles on it now.

I just called an attorney and spoke somebody at WWW.classsettle.hyundaiUSA.Com you may want to check this WebSite out as soon as possible. There will be more people that opted out for this extended warranty where Hyundai has no record of. Only time can tell.

You can guarantee that an update will be coming soon check this WebSite and for updates on this article. 6/9/04

J.C.H.

Add your comment to this topic!