Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

V-8 swap in my 93'

fanoforce
03-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Well, iv'e decided to make the plunge. I'm going to swap out my tired lilttle 2.8 ltr for a 350 SB. I'm going with a modest GM crate motor, and have a couple questions.

Is it true that the 2.8 liter motor mounts are the correct ones for the swap?

Does anyone know the difference in heiths between the edelbrock performer series intake manifold, and the performer with the airgap?

Any reccomendations on some good aluminum heads that are decent, but not going to set me back $1000?

I have also heard the early camaro radiators work just as well as the late model corvette rads. Is this true?

Any good websites would be helpful too.

thanks, Don

jcas1411
03-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Yes that is correct the 2.8 mounts are the correct mounts if you use the motor brackets from summitracing.com or jegs.com. Corvette radiator is actually quite a bit thinner than the camarro. I would stick with the vette. A new one is only around 160 from a radiator shop. Go to and get the JTR manaul. Its worth the money.

I am finishing up on my swap, have to mount the radiator and driverside header and I will be ready for the road. The intake I used is the Edelbrock Multiport fuel Injected system and there is plenty of room for the hood, however to get some cool air in there I will be creating some custom hood vents.
[url]http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html (http://www.customconversion.com/Pages/Chevrolet_S-10_V-8.html)

I would get some L-98 corvette heads from a salvage with exhaust manifolds and go with that for the price you are looking for. LT1 Heads will not work due to the cooling setup..... If you dont mind cast heads the L-31 GM vortec heads are the way for little money. I got a pair new for 500 and sent them to the machine shop to angle cut the valves, port intake, change to better springs and retainers for little money.

Good luck
John
500-520H
565#
383 Edelbrock MPI

ndsysv
03-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Does any one know of any one that has done a v8 swap to a 98? is it the same? I have a 2.2 in it. Is there an engine that fits best? I just want a quik daily driver not a drag racer.

jcas1411
03-13-2004, 11:58 AM
According to the JTR manual the 2.8 Liter v-6 is the correct mounts. It also covers an easy way to change them. They are only around 30.00 at you local autozone. Get the JTR manual it covers all body styles and years of swapping and gives good pics and instructions on each part. I know from looking at it most parts and instructions are the same for both yours and my year of truck. Minor diff in prep work of engine bay.

jcas1411
03-13-2004, 12:03 PM
sorry, I just got back to the page and I saw yours was a 93. 87-93 are all the same truck. New body in 94. So yes yours is the same truck as the install I did.

jcas1411
03-13-2004, 12:04 PM
ignore prev post...sorry got confused... :)

fanoforce
03-13-2004, 01:27 PM
LOL, Thanks for the info

Add your comment to this topic!