Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Broken ignition...please help. It might be the security??

batalbj1
03-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Hi, yesterday my key got stuck in the ignition in my 2001 Buick century.
and I couldnt pull it out. I played around with it for a few minutes. I pulled on it really hard and the key wouldnt come out. After a while i got the key to come out but not that easily. After that I could turn on the car without a key and I thought I broke the ignition. I put the key back in and turned on the car and the security light went on,on the dash board. So ...for some dumb ass reason i got the iea to drive it around in the neighborhood. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I got about 300 ft. from my house when the light was still on so i turned off the car. When I did that the key pulled out easy but, when I went to put back in the key the ignition would not turn . It feels like there is no key in there because the ignition starts to turn ...or can be wiggled back and forth.
Ya..so...my car is in the middle of the road in my neighborhood, and I'd like to know what you think is wrong and how I can fix it. If I wasn't clear please ask about specific parts of the story. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

MelinaCougar1999
07-09-2004, 01:43 AM
I had the same prob with mine i just ended up going to the junk yard and got a new iginition with the key even! (i was so amazed) but ne way it hasent bothered me since

kiddwolf993
08-24-2004, 08:34 AM
Ok Had the same thing happen to me last Fri with my 2000 Regal.
short term solution was simple .... Underneath the sterring wheel you'll see a plug directly under neath the key ignition cylinder.

This is part of the anti-theft system. It was designed to keep the car from starting if someone were to remove the key cylinder and attempt to use a screwdriver to steal your car. There is a small plastic push rod that engages the a plunger inside the key cylinder to allow the car to start. When you pulled out the key, you probably broke the small plastic push rod. Your car's computer thinks someone tried to steal it.

Pop that plug and find a small, fairly stiff peice of wire to use as a push rod. When you insert the wire, you will feel somthing like a plunger ... this is the key realease plunger. Press this UP while trying to rotate the key to the off position. The key will be released.

Once the key is out, open the hood and disconnect the positive battery terminal for about 5 mins. This clears the computer memory. Afetr you reconnect teh battery, the car should start.

Your problem is not solved yet, you will still need to replace the ignition cyclinder at a dealer or locksmith. Locksmith will most likely be your least expensivce route. At least yur off the road.

Good luck

Hi, yesterday my key got stuck in the ignition in my 2001 Buick century.
and I couldnt pull it out. I played around with it for a few minutes. I pulled on it really hard and the key wouldnt come out. After a while i got the key to come out but not that easily. After that I could turn on the car without a key and I thought I broke the ignition. I put the key back in and turned on the car and the security light went on,on the dash board. So ...for some dumb ass reason i got the iea to drive it around in the neighborhood. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I got about 300 ft. from my house when the light was still on so i turned off the car. When I did that the key pulled out easy but, when I went to put back in the key the ignition would not turn . It feels like there is no key in there because the ignition starts to turn ...or can be wiggled back and forth.
Ya..so...my car is in the middle of the road in my neighborhood, and I'd like to know what you think is wrong and how I can fix it. If I wasn't clear please ask about specific parts of the story. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Add your comment to this topic!