Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Pathfinder LE Speedometer/Odometer Malfunction. Need help?

Lance28
03-09-2004, 12:03 PM
My speedometer/odometer intermittantly stop working. My check engine light comes on when they do not work. However, when they do work the check engine light turns off and the speedometer sometimes shows the correct speed or may vary between the correct speed and zero. The problem to me seems electrical.

Any thoughts on how to fix?

BobMaio
03-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Lance, I have a similair speedo problem with my 94 and am waiting to see if anyone can help. You may want to look at it to see what my problem is because my guess is that the solution will be the same for both our problems. My guess is that the speed sensor is bad in both our cars. Before I spend $100+ on the part I am trying to get some confirmation on it.

Lance28
03-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Bob, Thanks for the reply. Actually I haven't checked my ECM and read the MIL codes, however, I suspect your right and the trouble code is probably 14 indicating a Vehicle Speed Sensor problem. Your question is the next step in the process. Please let me know if someone hits you back with the step-by-step. I will check your thread in the meantime as well. I'll let you know if I find anything out. I need to get this fixed within the next week to week-and-a-half.

Sydney
04-24-2004, 06:26 AM
Bob and Lance. I am having an identical problem with my 95 Pathy. The speedometer stopped working Wednesday and the darn CE light came on last night. What have you found to be the solution. Any info will help.

Mkrgolf
07-26-2004, 12:27 PM
I have same isssue. Mine has been present for 3-4 months. Seems that as the engine warms the CE light goes out and speedo and odometer start working again.

Ugh1699
08-08-2004, 06:27 PM
I have had this problem in my 95 pickup for over a year now. The speedometer and odometer both do not work. The check engine light is on. Every once in a while though the light goes off and then both gauges start working again. It usually stops working again when I shut the truck off. If anyone could help me out with this it would be much appreciated.

hartdlh
09-05-2004, 01:59 AM
We have the same problem with our 95 pathfinder we changed the speedo sensor it didn't help. I was told it could be the electical component in the head its self but we haven't tried that one yet. Because only a mechanic can do this because of the mileage gage. Someone also sujested it could be the gear its self but that depends on the type of pathfinder you have good luck and if any of you try these and it works let us know.

Mkrgolf
12-08-2004, 03:16 PM
speedometer change solved CE light (computer now sees), but have to replace speed head to make speedo work.

Mkrgolf
12-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Seems speed sensor did not fix anything. CE light back on. Same symptom as before. Most likely fix is speedometer head. Junkyard price $125-$150. Paid mechanic over $200 for speed sensor install.

jrsmail
02-14-2005, 07:38 PM
I had just replaced the speed sensor, and I still have the same problem on my 95. Speedo does not work and CE light on. Maybe with the new speen sensor it will work and stay working, but don't think so.

Anyone have an answer it would be greatly helpful.

Jon

hartdlh
02-15-2005, 07:23 PM
I just got my pathfinder out of the shop it turned out to be the Speedo head. coast $195.00

jrsmail
02-15-2005, 09:06 PM
I just got my pathfinder out of the shop it turned out to be the Speedo head. coast $195.00

Speed-o head behind the cluster?

hartdlh
02-18-2005, 12:25 PM
thats the one. I think that included the actual speedo needle because now you can see a big difference in color between the needles.

timmytim
06-26-2005, 01:15 PM
95 pathfinder, similar problem here too. odometer quits turning while driving, but never once got check engine light. my speedo never stops working either, just the miles quit turning. it had low when i bought it, but now it makes me wonder if they were true miles indeed :)

Add your comment to this topic!