Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tiburon or Not? PLZ HELP!

soulon
03-09-2004, 07:06 AM
I'm thinking of buying a 2003 Tiburon v6, 6speed, I love the way it looks, the inside is great! but I'm really concern with the over all performance of it, I want to modify it for speed but someone told me that I can't get it over 250hp... I was kind of hoping I could get to 300hp or at least 275hp... is that possible?

PLz give me details... I know nothing... this is going to be my first car I actually OWN!

Would I need a turbo AND a supercharger to get it to 250+?

Would I be better off getting a 2000+ Eclipse GT? (the guy only wants 12000 for the 2003 Tib, GREAT DEAL... so?)

or would I be better off getting a 3000GT if I want the speed?

ThanX

v10_viper
03-09-2004, 10:26 PM
I'm thinking of buying a 2003 Tiburon v6, 6speed, I love the way it looks, the inside is great! but I'm really concern with the over all performance of it, I want to modify it for speed but someone told me that I can't get it over 250hp... I was kind of hoping I could get to 300hp or at least 275hp... is that possible?

PLz give me details... I know nothing... this is going to be my first car I actually OWN!

Would I need a turbo AND a supercharger to get it to 250+?

Would I be better off getting a 2000+ Eclipse GT? (the guy only wants 12000 for the 2003 Tib, GREAT DEAL... so?)

or would I be better off getting a 3000GT if I want the speed?

ThanX

First of all, no you wouldnt need a super- and a turbocharger, i highly doubt that you could do that anyways. I've ridden in the Tiburon's, my cousin had a brand new one with the manumatic shifting and V6, felt good in the lower rpm's but because of an accident he had before that he didn't drive his Tib fast, but i've heard that their top ends just plain suck. Out of those I'd definately pick a well equipped, low mileage, 3000GT, awd and a TTV6 is not bad, plus it's my opinion that car is awesoem. I've never seen the aftermarket for a Tiburon but I'll bet you could make the car pretty fast, and the whole 250hp thing sounds crap but then, they do only come with what, 180 or so. But I agree, those Tiburons look pretty sharp, and with some appearance modification they can look realllly awesome. I dont know much about the Eclipse but for performance and looks it's 3000GT.

Cobra01TT
03-10-2004, 12:26 PM
It all depends on how much money you have. A 300GT VR-4 is a great fast car, but they're kind of pricy. I personally don't like Tibs, and the only Eclipse I'll even acnowledge as a performance/sporty car is a GSX/TSi. You can get anything past 250HP, even a 1000cc/1L motorcycle. If you have the money, get a 3rd Gen. RX-7, or early 90's 300ZX TT-my friend had one and they're f#%@'n fast. If you don't have the money, get a 5.0 Fox body Mustang, or a old Mazda 626 Turbo.

Reed
03-10-2004, 12:40 PM
Yeah the tib's jsut arent fast and if you wnt it to be it will cost a lot. the 3K GT vr4s/ dodge stealth are great cars but very costly and most people dont build them to be that fast ( plus they are heavy) people jsut dont build that engine because even though it is strong enough for the twin turbo setup it comes with, it requires alot of actually building the engine to get more power. The post 98 eclipses suck!!! if i were you i would definately try to get a 89-94 eclipse/talon with the awd turbo ( TSI/GSX Also galant vr4 from the same years has the same engine) or even a 94-98( the first gens have a better head. But yeah those engines are great and they have been proven to be built extremely powerfuly. With minimal building of internals and a few bolt ons you will get 300 hp easily. Also there is a ton of aftermarket stuff for those engines ( 4g63 ).

beef_bourito
03-10-2004, 07:06 PM
the new tib comes with about 135 hp and 140 torque i think. the new eclipse comes with 200 hp and 205 lbs/ft torque so deffinetly go with the eclipse, you can easily get 250+ hp with just a sc or turbo(personally i prefer the sc because of the no-lag factor.) But if you want you could get the tib and might be able to get it to 250hp but it will cost you more.

Reed
03-11-2004, 02:41 PM
Turbo lag!?! If he put a turbo on a new eclipse he would put a small one on because he would need to build the engine to run a bigger one (the engine cant handle all the boost from a big one) . He would probably only run like 6-8 psi on a stock engine and a small turbo would give essentially no lag. He could retard the timing a little, get a more powerful fuel pump or injectors or both, an intercooler and ignition timing. All of that stuff properly installed could give 300hp or more without ever even taking off the head. Do all that stuff to an early 90's eclipse/talon and you could run twice as much boost (because that engine was built for boost) and you will beat 95% of "Performance" cars on the road. Especially since the first gen's are way lighter than the new ones.

Man i hate when people say "turbo lag".

beef_bourito
05-09-2004, 05:02 PM
beef_bourito, your power numbers are off on the Hyundai Tiberon V6 6-Speed, it's about 180 at the crank, about 145 at the wheels.

Sorry, i was looking at the I4. anyway, you do realize you are posting in a 2 month old thread.

Add your comment to this topic!