Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can't get car out of PARK!!

00honda
03-08-2004, 05:19 AM
I purchased my (auto trans) Accord EX new. Over the past 2 years or so I would have problems getting my car out of park. I would have to step on the brake and push the gear release 'just so' in order to get the car into the next gear. I took it to the dealer for this a few times but they said they couldn't reproduce the problem. Well the other day at work it just wouldn't move! I sat in my car for 40 minutes trying to get it to move and it just didn't happen. The next morning a tow truck driver met me at my car and said he would have to drag my car out and there was a chance something would break if he did. He got on the phone with his boss who told him to pop this little piece out near the gear box, stick my key in the hole, and then I would be able to put my car in neutral and start the car. Well, this worked but now this is THE ONLY way I can get my car to move. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?????? It goes back to the dealer tomorrow.

TerryJoe
03-08-2004, 05:19 PM
have u checked the fuse. i dunno the same thing kinda was wrong with mine and i just blew a fuse. something to look into if u havent already

mrlucci4051
03-08-2004, 05:49 PM
dude, i will gaurentee it's the nuetral saftey switch. it probably broke. same thing happened to my dads car. check that out 'cause once it breaks you are strate up stuck.

Master Tech Dude
07-09-2004, 06:18 AM
I'm going to say that the Shifter Lock Solenoid has failed. I've seen this happen on lots of different models over the years. Pushing your key into the slot in front of the shifter mechanically over rides that mechanism.

f22burnout
07-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Every one has it bout right. You got either fuse problem or neutral saftey switch. Both are easy fixes.

Add your comment to this topic!