Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Selling a Ford Van.

Terry43
03-08-2004, 01:35 AM
Hi, My local Ford dealer doesn't want to buy plain vans. Just custom vans. When you buy a Cargo van you should be ready to have a big problem selling it because my dealer said there is no demand for plain used vans. He said Building Contractors and Businesses are the only ones that want plain cargo vans. Familys are not looking for these Vans. What do you have say about these van and if this dealer is telling the truth? My Van which is a 1997 E150 has only 46,000 miles and the dealer is only going to give me 4500.00 for it. So I'm keeping it till it goes to the juck yard.

Thanks, Terry.

Doug Rodrigues
05-16-2004, 06:49 AM
Your dealer sure didn't have a problem selling you that van! Salesmen, in general, will dream-up every excuse they can to make money for themselves. I'd lay bets that if you took that $4500 for the van, the very next week you'd see it on their lot selling for twice that amount. The salesman at that time would then say that the cargo vans are in great demand for business use or for conversions and that it's better for the buyer to have their own custom conversion done than to buy a used custom van not to your liking. Basically, the salesman is there to squeeze every last dime out of your budget. He'll do that by lying, exaggerating, changing figures on the contract, bringing in a second salesman to confirm the "great deal" he's giving you, changing the interest on the loan to a higher figure "because the bank didn't go for it," forgetting to add agreed repairs to the contract that he shook hands with you on and previously agreed to do, etc., etc. A good car salesman would sell his mother for a buck! I don't know who's worse: Lawyers, Car Salesmen, or Politicians. They all sound the same!

**Hey, I just went over to the Kelly Blue Book page for my zip code and entered E-150, 6 cylinder engine, NO air conditioning, NO air bags, NO radio, but in good condition. Private party sale/purchase $4845. If the dealer were selling this same vehicle to you: $6565. So I was wrong about the dealer selling it for twice the amount, but still a hell of a lot higher than $4500.

Terry43
05-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Hi, My van has this options on it listed below,

AC
4.6 V-8 engine
power windows and door locks
cruise control and tilt wheel
Kenwood stereo Cass and 6 CD changer.
Custom bucket seats and carpeting
Ford's Custom front Grille package.

This van has only 46,560 miles on it.

Thanks, Terry.

Doug Rodrigues
05-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Kelly Blue Book values vary according to your particular zip code. In my area, the book values are these:

In average condition for trade-in: $4,380

In excellent condition for trade-in: $4,800

What the dealer should sell it for...retail price: $7,730 but I'm sure that the dealer would find an excuse to sell it for more than that.

Add your comment to this topic!