1985 Starting problem

Joe Trinkley
03-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Well, I took the head off of my 22rec fuel injected motor and replaced everything...I'm at the point now where it's all back together but I can't get it to stay running, it will run for 3 to 4 seconds then cut off....weird....then in about 3 minutes it will let me run it for another 3 seconds and then shut off....I've heard of an ASD relay but I can't find it in my chilton or on the truck....anyone have any ideas of what's going on here. The fuel pump doesn't work unless I run a wire off the battery straight to it. It's getting fire, plenty of fuel, timing may be off but that shouldn't be a problem if it starts then cuts...something in this truck has got to be telling it to shut down...but what? thanks for the help guys, I check this frequently so I should be quick with answers to your questions if you have any......

Thanks
Joe

brooster
03-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Make sure the snorkel and mass air flow sensor are securely connected to the intake. No leaks. Make sure the mass air flow sensor is plugged in. With the key on, you should be able to move the air door inside the air flow meter and hear the fuel pump come on.

Something has to be shutting the engine down. Lack of fuel, lack of fire, etc.

Retrace your steps to see if everything is back where it belongs, particularly ground wires. Bring the engine to TDC #1 compression and static time it with the key on and engine off.

Add your comment to this topic!