Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake lights stay on when car is off (or on!)

N4EFDave
03-07-2004, 10:17 PM
My 1991 Corolla 4-door sedan has this problem:

the rear brake lights and high-mounted brake light stay lit at full brightness even though the car is shut off and all other lights are turned off. There is no indication of any other problem.

The only way I can get around this problem is to disconnect the battery cable when I leave the car.

How to fix?

Dave

sonnald
03-08-2004, 03:04 AM
My corolla had a similar problem, it had a broken round plastic grommet type part that kept the brake light switch open when not depressed. I installed a auto upholstery fastener (<$1) as a replacement. You have to get in from under the dash to install it.

N4EFDave
03-08-2004, 06:58 PM
Sonnald, you da man!

After I read your post, I looked on the floor of the driver's side in my Corolla and found only a very small plastic piece, like a peg, about 1/4" long. This couldn't be all there was to it, but after I forced my upper body under the dash, the rounded "washer" shaped "hat" to the peg was found lodged within a spring!

The picture became clear as to why I saw no broken parts at my feet, and why the lights stay on.

I wrapped some electrical tape around the brake pedal shaft and the problem is temporarily fixed. Now, to the upholstery shop!

Thanks for the info....you saved the day!

Dave

Add your comment to this topic!