Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Eurovan will not shift out of park

eurovan
03-07-2004, 03:11 PM
I have a 1999 Eurovan that is currently stranded at the Post office because it will not shift out of park. Research I have done seems to indicate that it is likely due to a shift lock solenoid. It will not budge even wiht the brake pressed --wheteher the engine is running or not. Is there an override button I can use to get out of park? Does anyone have any other ideas. Any thoughts are appreciated.

boschmann
03-12-2004, 03:29 PM
I might be too late, but check fuses #14 & #20 first. Then check to see if you have brake lights. If not it's probably the switch at the brake pedal. If you have brake lights the solenoid itself may be sticking or dead. Listen at the shifter for a clunking or clicking when you hit the brake pedal to hear if it's working but stuck.

Liquid_89
05-14-2004, 04:30 PM
you might want to try the cluch because i have a new VW beetle and it's 2002 and i have had a little trouble with it but i fixed it each time i had troubles with the cluch VWs aren't very good machines.even the newer was don't work as well as you would want them to.

simkinsnorth
03-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Today my wife called and said that she couldn't shift out of park in here 1999 Eurovan. I called the dealer and talked to a tech and he said that the brake switch wasn't working. This is a common problem for newer golfs and jettas, but does happen to the vans. So I had my wife step on the brake and sure enough the brakes didn't come on. So I removed the switch and put a jumper on the wire plug and that bypassed the switch so i could get home.
a new switch at the dealer is just under $17. The switch I took off of the van was date stamped 05-2002, wich tells me that this was a problem for the previous owner. I hoped that this helps somebody.

Add your comment to this topic!