Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Check engine light shows code PO740

Regina's 96
03-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Took my car to Auto Zone to have the check engine light code checked. The tech hooked up and found it showed code PO740- Torque converter clutch circuit malfunction, afterwards he turned off the light. Is this a serious malfunction. My 1996 Honda LX has 108,000 miles and I am the original owner. The car seems to run fine and this is the FIRST time the engine light has come on. What is it and what should I do to correct it? What if I ignore it?

Gold'n
03-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Time to take it to a transmission repair shop. I wouldnt attempt repairing it unless you know how to rebuild automatics. Dont ignore your cars problems. When a sensor goes bad it will confuze the computer and it tries to compensate for whatever senor has gone bad. That cause other stuff to break. It might have just been a glitch.

Did the tech erase the code and restart the car and drive it?

Is it a soft code or a hard code? If it is a bad sensor I would deffinatly have it fixed. Dont push it. You might end up having to buy a new torque converter or even a new trans.

Regina's 96
03-06-2004, 08:12 PM
the guy at the store just deleted the engine light and I started my car and drove away I have never had any problems with my car ..I am the original owner..even now I do not have any problems ..the car runs great The light never came back on.. should I wait till it comes back on? and then take it in for service??And please what is a soft code or a hard code?... thank you for your reply Regina

Gold'n
03-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Soft codes usually occur when you have a glitch in the system. If it was a hard code, erasing the code wouldt do anything. The light would come back on.

Usually the light will come back on within a few miles or less. Hard codes are either caused by mechanical failure or a real problem with a sensor.

If the light comes back go to a trans shop for repairs. Or get a car that has a manual trans instead.

Add your comment to this topic!