Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lift and tires

imagoat23
03-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Hey yall, i'm new to Jeeps and need some information. I Have a 95 4 cylinder YJ and I plan on getting a lift and tires for it soon. Right now everything is completely stock that I know of. I want to get 33" bfgoodrich AT tires. Is a 4" standard Rubicon Express suspension a good suspension? I need it to be good at both on and off-road driving but will be driving it more on the road. Will it fit these tires with no problem? And is this all I need or do I need some other things done at the same time? Also if I do this, will I have to do some regearing? I'm not that great with mechanics so any information will help. Also, feel free to suggest doing something differently. Thanks

windywinters
03-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Yes, a 4" lift will allow you to fit the 33" tires but you will definitely need to re- gear , especially with the 4 cylinder. If you are going to be mainly driving on pavement with occassional jaunts off road, you might be better off with less lift and a 31 " or 32 " tire. That 4 cylinder will really be working hard with those 33" tires, even with lower ( higher numerical ) gearing since it will be turning faster.

doc13ryde
03-06-2004, 05:31 PM
My old 87 wrangler has just a 2" shackle lift on it which cost around $40. and 32"x11.50x15 bfg mud terrain tires on it

doc13ryde
03-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Also, like windywinters said it will slow down your jeep I have the 4.2liter inline 6 and u can tell the difference with and without stock tires

windywinters
03-06-2004, 08:58 PM
You are so right Doc, I have an 89 wrangler with the anemic 2.5 cylinder and I'm running 33 x 12.5 x 15 tires. Even with a header, K&N intake system & 4.11 gearing my engine is working hard on the freeway and forget about uphill. I'm hoping to do a V-8 swap soon so for now I'm living with the tire situation. For the small motor I recommend 31 " or 32" at most.

doc13ryde
03-06-2004, 09:05 PM
Windywinters, I was wondering how fast your jeep goes topping out. Now with that low of gears and 33" tires.

imagoat23
03-07-2004, 05:39 PM
So Doc, you think I should do something like getting a 2" shackle and 32" tires? Would I have to do some regearing then? If you don't have to regear for 32"s, would that look right with a 4.5 lift, or would it look stupid? And is that decent for the occasional offroading?

windywinters
03-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Hi Doc, my jeep is a fair weather ride that I use in nice weather on summer weekends . Most of my driving with it is around town or the few trails we have close by here in upstate NY. So, it doesn't see much freeway time. I have had it up to 65 in 5th gear but I wouldn't want to do it for a long distance. The old girl has 133,000 miles on her but still runs like a champ. I just try not to push her to hard. I have a low mileage chevy 305 and TH350 that I'm hoping to drop in later this year. Novak adapters makes this an easy swap. I'm still getting all the pieces together, radiator, headers, etc....

doc13ryde
03-07-2004, 07:41 PM
So Doc, you think I should do something like getting a 2" shackle and 32" tires? Would I have to do some regearing then? If you don't have to regear for 32"s, would that look right with a 4.5 lift, or would it look stupid? And is that decent for the occasional offroading?
If you want to put 33"s go for it. But all me and windywinters was saying is its going to be harder on your engine and your going to lose some top end speed so if u drive on the highway alot I personally would put 31" tires or maybe 32". It proably wouldn't look bad with a 4.5" lift but the shackle lift is way cheaper and easier to put on. Post some pics after u get it done which ever route you choose.

doc13ryde
03-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Hi Doc, my jeep is a fair weather ride that I use in nice weather on summer weekends . Most of my driving with it is around town or the few trails we have close by here in upstate NY. So, it doesn't see much freeway time. I have had it up to 65 in 5th gear but I wouldn't want to do it for a long distance. The old girl has 133,000 miles on her but still runs like a champ. I just try not to push her to hard. I have a low mileage chevy 305 and TH350 that I'm hoping to drop in later this year. Novak adapters makes this an easy swap. I'm still getting all the pieces together, radiator, headers, etc....

Mine goes about 75 if i catch a good hill, lol. I don't know how many problems you had with your Jeep but mine has almost everything new or rebuilt. Engine and tranny were rebuilt and differential locked up while driving down the road everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Hopefully mine was just a bad apple

imagoat23
03-07-2004, 09:25 PM
so a shackle lift and about 32'' tires is probably the best way to go for my little 4 cylinder? Do I have to regear for 32s? Will it be able to handle decently at offroading? Im not wanting to do hardcore stuff like rock crawling or stuff like that. Wheres the best place to get a shackle lift and what lift is good? thanks

doc13ryde
03-08-2004, 08:57 AM
Well my jeep handles good offroad it will go through the mud good and a friend of mine been through some pretty good size holes with 32"s on his 4cyl Jeep but I try and stay out of the big ones after i messed up my tranny mudding and had to get a new one. The ones i bought were from Autozone if you dont have one go to another parts store its a universal part i priced it at 15.99 for one set and you'll need 2 boxes so $32.00 before taxes you cant beat that price. All you need is jack, a socket set, and a torque wrench which you can rent from autozone if you dont have one. Well anyways good luck with it.

Add your comment to this topic!