Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99' Altima Reverse Shifting Problems

price140
03-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Our 99' Altima only shifts into reverse (auto trans) once after being started. Doesn't seem to matter if its in the winter or summer. Shifts with no problems in forward speeds but once in reverse for every start up. Oils check out good, no leaks.

I'm thinking its electrical beacuse if the nature of the problem. If it was mechanical you would think it would happen all the time. I have read there are 5 shifting solenoids that control the shifting in Altimas. Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks.

Terry Murphy
03-17-2004, 09:16 PM
I have the same problem with my 99 altima. It will shift into reverse when you first start up but after that it is touch and go as to whether or not it will shift. I have been told that it is an internal problem and the trans needs to be rebuilt.

Help

price140
03-18-2004, 08:38 PM
I have the same problem with my 99 altima. It will shift into reverse when you first start up but after that it is touch and go as to whether or not it will shift. I have been told that it is an internal problem and the trans needs to be rebuilt.

Help
Thanks for the note. I have also been told that the hi/low pressure lines need to be tested which may point to a broken seal tha is releasing pressure for the reverse. Looks like this is the next step for me.

Add your comment to this topic!