Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

cost and ease of install of an h23a into a 3gen prelude

flylwsi
04-29-2001, 10:38 PM
what would be a good price for a h23a motor in good condition with the necessary components(ecu rad, etc)
also...
how hard would it be to install it in a 3gen lude...
what mods, interfaces... how problem prone would it be???

also... would it just be better to have my motor rebuilt for about 2500 (new pistons, crank rods rings, valves, 5 angle valve job)

b/c it burns oil right now...

so would it be better to rebuild or replace...

pros and cons pleez???

JD@af
04-30-2001, 06:21 PM
I don't know about price, but the H23A option is not bad. You'll need a mounting kit from HASport, Place Racing, or HCP to do the conversion. I'd certainly do this before rebuilding your current engine (the burning oil problem is probably due to a problem in the cylinder head, and you'd be better off just replacing the entire head, rather than trying to fix the existing head).

However, I'd also think about doing a compression check in your cylinders. Get a Helms manual for your car, or through another source find out what the cylinder pressure should be for your cylinders. If you haven't seen drastic pressure drops in any of your cylinders, or if there are no gaping inequalities in cylinder pressure from cylinder to cylinder, I'd consider just getting a different head. I'm not positive, but a VTEC B series head should be able to bolt right onto your block - you should just get one from the same generation for ease of adaption for the ECU's. A B16A head would probably be a good choice. And you can probably get one for your car's generation for $400 to $500, maybe even less.

Now, if you want to do a forced induction set-up for your car, and you will need rebuilding no matter what engine you choose in order to run with this, than scratch getting an H23A. I'd keep what you have and work with it, since you'll have a good deal of displacement to work with.

I hope this helps, and please post again if you have more questions we can help you with.

flylwsi
04-30-2001, 06:29 PM
well... the compression is equal.
it has new rings rods and crank (oil pump went)
and new valve seals. and it still burns.
so... as long as the conversion isnt that hard, i am just gonna go that route... if you lookin in the prelude forum, more is in there on it...
pleeeeez tell me how easy or difficult it is...
i need to know what else i need to do...
i hate hidden costs...
thanks
i dont wanna build a hybrid motor... just a new one w/ the ecu, and rad, and all the other crap lakemountlude is gonna get for me... sounds good, i just wanna make sure it is easy (however easy that is...)
and the vtec swap is actually expensive... www.ludespeed.com did it for about 1500, but i need to send him the motor... grr...
i want a new motor!!!

thanks

h23power
04-30-2001, 10:50 PM
i didnt have a kit... i had mine i guess you could say custom by the people who put it in.. i asked bout that too, but they told me it was a flat out waste of money, so i listened..

flylwsi
04-30-2001, 11:06 PM
hey... since you got this goin on under your hood, why dont you email me and let me know what is up...
antipoetry@hotmail.com
lemme know what is up...

h23power
04-30-2001, 11:54 PM
done

E-RPMSOFTCOM
08-12-2009, 01:37 AM
i had mine i guess you could say custom by the people who put it in.. i asked bout that too, but they told me it was a flat out waste of money, so i listened..

Add your comment to this topic!