EveryOne with Transmission problems... A Chrysler Secret...! Read This...!

Pages : 1 [2]

Mbriggs
05-11-2011, 09:40 AM
I'd post this as a new thread to get more visibility.

RIP
05-11-2011, 11:38 AM
I'd post this as a new thread to get more visibility.

...and you are in the Caravan forum. Post this on the LHS forum to get more specific info.

Tomturansky
08-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Has anybody fixed their splice and groud strap + had the car starting to work?

grizlbr
09-23-2011, 02:37 PM
2002 Caravan chassis ground wire and ground from battery bolts to intake manifold by thermostat housing. One I repaired was cut and twisted together when transmission was 'rebuilt'.

Gold Top
09-25-2011, 08:52 AM
So I am looking for my third one of these masterpieces. Yes I owned an 88 rebuilt trans once, an 96 rebuilt trans twice. Now i am looking for a used one again from 02 to 06. I had thought that possibly I wouldn't have to worry about this any longer. Am I mistaken?

ChryslerCirrus
10-06-2011, 11:50 AM
I too am having transmission problems with my Chrysler Cirrus. I am also having problems with the throttle and idling as well. I own a 1996 Cirrus 2.5 V6. I have replaced the fuel pump, and filter. Now I am having problems with it going out of 2nd gear. When it shifts from first the RPMs run high and the same when it goes into 2nd. It will not go into Overdrive. It runs at 3500 RPM with the speed at 55. I know this is not normal. I put it on a machine and it told me that there were many sensors bad. I do not know where to start. I need to know where the tranni sensor, oxygen sensor, and any other sensor that may be causeing this issue are located. I am so ready to give up on this car. Thanks for any help you can offer.

RIP
10-06-2011, 05:04 PM
I too am having transmission problems with my Chrysler Cirrus. I am also having problems with the throttle and idling as well. I own a 1996 Cirrus 2.5 V6. I have replaced the fuel pump, and filter. Now I am having problems with it going out of 2nd gear. When it shifts from first the RPMs run high and the same when it goes into 2nd. It will not go into Overdrive. It runs at 3500 RPM with the speed at 55. I know this is not normal. I put it on a machine and it told me that there were many sensors bad. I do not know where to start. I need to know where the tranni sensor, oxygen sensor, and any other sensor that may be causeing this issue are located. I am so ready to give up on this car. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Component locations and system info can be far different on a Caravan. Copy and paste your post as a new thread on the Cirrus forum.

roosternc86
01-22-2012, 08:41 PM
so i have a 1996 dodge carovan se 3.3 with an A 604 i rebuilt it my self. my sister thought it would be a great idea to shift into reverse from drive at 60 mph. the plantinary gears was pissed. never got that tranny apart. so i got a core and rebuilt it myself. it worked fine for a while. ive since the replaced three solenoid packs. it burns up third gear every time. so i took a couple of them apart and made one work. you guys that are have probloms with whinning and haveing to rev it up to get it to move . you have one of two probloms. torque converter has shelled itself or the filters on the bottom side of the solenoid pack are clogged. the man that tault me about trannys once worked for dodge and knows all the tricks. i bult 46re and 904 ,727,and 46re. they all work fine. my grand father bought a 85 ram slant six with 727 he said it shifted smoother than factory. if yall have a question fell free to ask.. im a mopar goorue. as for the red wires splice i have never heard of that but i will ask my teach..

1996ctnc
02-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I just spent the afternoon looking for the infamous "three wire splice". What I found was in the harness that comes out of the TCM two red wires going into a splice and two red wires coming out of the splice before it went into the main harness. It was very well protected with heat shrink and looked fine I did not mess with it.

ojm37a
02-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Our '97 Dodge Grand Caravan has just started doing something similar (155K miles). The difference is that it does not shift at all. Just stays in 1st (or 2nd?) all the time. No going to Neutral. The check engine light comes on, but if I take the battery terminals off, wait a minute and put them back on the trans goes back to shifting normally for a couple of days. Then back to the no-shift situation.

I've yet to climb under and look for the grounding or splices....

Ideas?

RIP
02-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Our '97 Dodge Grand Caravan has just started doing something similar (155K miles). The difference is that it does not shift at all. Just stays in 1st (or 2nd?) all the time. No going to Neutral. The check engine light comes on, but if I take the battery terminals off, wait a minute and put them back on the trans goes back to shifting normally for a couple of days. Then back to the no-shift situation.

I've yet to climb under and look for the grounding or splices....

Ideas?

You would have been better off starting your own thread instead of tacking on to this book but you're here so....

You've probably read about "limp mode" since you're posting in this thread. You've probably read you have a few options. (1) Most change the input/output sensors with little success. (2) Dropping the pan/changing the fluid and filter will give you an opportunity to check for debris. If it's there you need a rebuild. (3) a tranny shop or anyone with a transmission specific scanner can check for two digit transmission codes that can reveal clues as to what is wrong.

ojm37a
03-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Will try after vacation is over and post any results.

Vanmat17
03-08-2012, 01:00 PM
I bought a 2005 ram new. I noticed the transmission slipping fairly quickly mainly in reverse. They told me nothing was wrong. I was 38 and had owned enough cars with slipping transmissions to know better. I talked to my friend who sent me to the dealership because his friend was the sales manager. Took it back.and they found a factory bulletin. Something about being double filtered.( B.S?) Has anyone else come across this?
Its 2012 ive got 40k on the truck with alot of towing miles and it has been doingg fine. I am not light on the gas towing or not." Drive it like you stole it."
I have just added about 2k lbs of full time weight to it because I am starting my own hvac business and added a cap tools ladders etc. and will be using it daily. Im new here if someone can give me heads up on air bags or helper springs would greatly be appreciated.

JoMama509th
06-10-2013, 04:26 AM
Everyone should pay attention: I own a computer module which I plugged into my 1996 Dodge Caravan, and I've been experiencing the same "limp mode" most of you have... but I solved it. My Caravan is working great now - and it only took four hours.

I bought a computer diagnostic module on ebay for about $70 that is supposed to diagnose my caravan's problems - it came up with "Shift Solenoid" 1 of 1, which one diagnosis of one - no other probs detected.

So... I went to the autoparts store: $199. I bought it, in the thin hope it would work. In the 1996 model, the solenoid is external to the tranny, so it's a pretty easy fix. I took it to a toyota mechanic who is a friend of a friend... he said he'd replace it for $100... it would take maybe an hour, in his driveway, on a Sunday evening. He has all the tools, jacks, etc... and he seemed to have some real working knowledge.

It took him three hours... apparently there were sensors mounted above it, and other wiring that had to be disconnected and reconnected... but when he was finished - low and behold I had my Caravan back working perfectly!

Oh BTW, he ALSO used his diagnostic tool to plug into my computer diagnostic panel (located to the lower right of your steering wheel). He got the same diagnosis: Shift Solenoid"

I hope this helps... often successful solutions don't find their way here, just the problems... I have to admit, it was a BITCH to log in and get my password and ID finally accepted... but I felt that if I could help the dozens of you having the same problem, a "Known Good" up to now, anyway, tranny, there's no reason to spend a grand or more when you can get it fixed for about $300. Good luck all.

RIP
06-10-2013, 03:56 PM
You are a lucky soul. Many times a particular scanner will say this or that but it turns out to be something in left field. A scanner can put you in the ball park but that ballpark can be a monster.

fischandco
06-29-2013, 09:29 PM
To all those complaining about not being able to find the wire splice. If you were paying attention the original poster already told you where the splice is as follows
1.The red wire from the solenoid pack.
2. The red wire from the TMC/EATX
3. the wire from the EATX relay
If you don't know where these are, buy the repair manual. Tip the EATX relay is in the relay box , under the hood right hand side right of the battery look on the lid for a chart.

RIP
06-30-2013, 07:26 PM
To all those complaining about not being able to find the wire splice. If you were paying attention the original poster already told you where the splice is as follows
1.The red wire from the solenoid pack.
2. The red wire from the TMC/EATX
3. the wire from the EATX relay
If you don't know where these are, buy the repair manual. Tip the EATX relay is in the relay box , under the hood right hand side right of the battery look on the lid for a chart.

I'd bet people are looking for an answer like this: 3.5 inches from connector x on module x so they can avoid opening up harness after harness.

nsharma1999
11-04-2013, 08:50 PM
I have a 1999 Dodge Caravan which I bought new which now has approx. 100,000 miles. A few months ago the transmission started to slip and $1600 later I was the owner of a rebuilt transmission.

Fast forward 4 months and the transmission started bucking with intermittent hard shifts. Oddly enough the check engine light would come on and then go off. Like I said this was intermittent. Then three weeks ago the speedometer started acting like it was possessed. I would be driving and sudddenly the needle would jump from 50 to 120 back down to zero and everywhere in between. While it was doing this the transmission would start hunting for a gear and the van would start "bucking" for lack of a better word.

The check engine light would come on and sometimes the van would go into limp mode where it would only run in second gear. The upshifts and downshifts were harsh.

So I take it back to the transmission repair shop and they hook it up to the computer but they can't get a code. All the while the check engine light is on and the engine is racing at 3000 rpms. I can't drive faster than 50 or the revs go even higher... hence the term "limp mode".

The mechanic scratches his head and says he's not sure what could be causing this and alludes to the BCM/ECM, throttle body. Having done my homework I advise te mechanic that I'm pretty sure it's the Output Speed Sensor. After some discussion he agrees and two hours later I have my van back with the new $20 part.

Sure enough as I drive away the van runs like it's brand new. Now I'm wondering if I needed a transmission rebuild in the first place 4 months ago.

Anyways the lesson here is if your van has the same symptems you owe it to yourself to check the two sensors on the front side of the tranny. Also, check the wiring that plugs into the sensors as apparently this is problematic on these vehicles. This minor repair could save you $1600.:2cents:

rizky17
12-09-2013, 04:21 AM
wow thank you seems to me to be more to know about automotive

JJFURAY
03-04-2014, 06:39 PM
George Arthur3. Just do I understand correctly from your original post. What was the secret for these transmission? Replacing the ground strap? Thanks, JJFURAY

RIP
03-09-2014, 04:56 PM
George Arthur3. Just do I understand correctly from your original post. What was the secret for these transmission? Replacing the ground strap? Thanks, JJFURAY\

Considering he started this thread 10 years ago and has posted twice in that 10 years he's most likely long gone. Replacing the ground strap has fixed some problems. I think his major point was telling us about the infamous shabby splice in the transmission electrical system. The implication is every van has that splice. Subsequent discussions on this and other forums concluded it was a limited production line fix for a very few early production 3rd generation vans.

masseymechanic
04-30-2014, 11:22 AM
I run a fleet of Dodge Caravans from 1997 AWD to 2005 Caravan. The biggest problem we have found is the wiring itself. Comparing them to other makes over all they stand up the best. That being said. Transmission issue in the 1997. Same complaint as everybody else. At this point I am putting new shift solenoids in because they are due for it, not that they are gone. At over 300,000 km it is time. Will be checking all ground connections and voltages as I go through the system. Will post faults as I find them. We affectionately call them Crapavans.:sarcasmsign:

Add your comment to this topic!