Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Neon Rattling

MStout
03-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Ok...I put my MTX 15"s in and theyre badass, but my trunk is unbelievably loud when it rattles. I need any type of method that will stop the rattling. My friend thinks a better thicker seal to shut it against will work, which would because when you push on the back of it, the rattling gets better, but I think it would take more. I am going to spray foam inside every hole in that trunk lid anyway for some dampening, so hopefully that will take away sqeaks and some rattling. A tighter latch would work too but it would be a chore then to shut the lid. I need any ways to fix this even a little bit. Its not real cool when thats all people hear up close, and yea its that bad.

Also...my RPMs drop when deep bass is shaking. My lights dim a little too. Thats signs of needing a capacitor, but I dont know what farad rating I would need to get. Im using a 1600 watt Legacy amp and its doing that, so if I get the MTX 1500 mono I want I will REALLY need it.

SilverJLEclipse
03-04-2004, 10:55 PM
general rule for caps is 1 farad of capacitance per 1000 watts (real power not max or "musical power").
as for rattles, license plate is a major area. also, the place where inner and outer skins of the trunk lid meet. i would experiment with foam insulation between these parts in order to isolate. once you have found the source glue the pad in and apply a sound deadener. I guess I have to plug SECOND SKIN to not get flamed out of this forum!

Skydogg
03-28-2004, 12:40 PM
I had the same problem in my 98. I put dyna-mat on the top of the trunk and it gave it more wait and held it down pretty well. now it closes solidly like it is a BMW. Plus my trunk has weird spring loaded things that look like shocks. I tightened those down and now it is perfect.

Haibane
03-28-2004, 01:55 PM
Just to bug skydogg, The reason it works is because of mass not "wait [sic]". This is due to F=ma, more mass, less acceleration or movement.

Add your comment to this topic!