Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

what happens if u have a bad lifter?

CHOZEN1TSi
03-03-2004, 10:04 PM
What Happens If U Have A Bad Lifter ,cuz My Tsi Used To Have A Bad Ticking Problem Recently(like All Dsm Cars) But The Ticking Stoped Yesterday,and The Car Feels As If There Is A Horse Power Drop. Can Some One Tell Me What The Effect Of A Colapsed Lifter Is? So I Dont Have To Spend Bank On New Lifters And It Won't Fix The Problm. Thanx

MrZ
03-04-2004, 06:33 AM
CHOZEN1TSi;
By virtue of the overhead cam design, I don't see that a collapsed lifter poses an immediate mechanical concern (damage wise). However, I would not drive the car with it like that. If it has collapsed, you have one cylinder with only 3 operational valves. So, either one of your intake valves isn't opening, or one of your exhaust valves isn't. That would explain the loss of power.

You need to replace the lifters. You could go the el-cheapo route and just replace one, but you're going to need to remove the timing belt, cam sprockets, etc., so if you're going through all of that effort it makes sense to change them all.

BTW...I have 211,000 miles on my Talon now, and my lifters have never made noise. One in a while a might here a faint tick when I have the hood open with the engine running, that's it.

Mark

CHOZEN1TSi
03-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Hey Mr.z Thanks For Ur Reply U Seem To Know Ur Shit.ur Probly The Only One Here Who Does An Way My Vaccume Psi Was -14 But Now It Is -12 . Is That Bad ? Please Reply

MrZ
03-06-2004, 12:19 PM
CHOZEN1Si;
Thanks for the compliment.

I didn't realize until now that you also posted about some turbo boost issues. I am definitely NOT very well versed at all when it comes to turbos, wastegates, and the way all of it works together. However, I am inclined to believe that your loss of vacuum may be related to something you've done with your boost.

Since I don't know very much in this area, my suggestion would be to do the same thing you would with a computer after you have monkeyed around with settings and things aren't working right...reset to default settings.

I don't kow what all you have done on your car with the turbo, but can you put it all back to the way it was before you started? If so, you should. Then make one change at a time, and thoroughly evaluate how the change has effected your cars performance.

Mark

Add your comment to this topic!